PDA

View Full Version : Problems cleaning glue off old style Bessey K-Bodies

Dave Cohen
04-18-2009, 9:17 PM
I have Jorgensen, Stanley and Bessey K-body style clamps,

a couple of swipes with a scraper clean up the Jorgensens, I don't even think I need to clean the glue off the Stanleys at all

....but the Old style Bessey's will not clean up, the glue gets into all those little notches on the rails and the heads jam all the time.

Has anyone had this problem, how to resolve it?

Thanks

Jay Jolliffe
04-18-2009, 9:28 PM
Heat gun is what I use to soften the glue then scrape it with a sharp paint scraper.

glenn bradley
04-18-2009, 9:32 PM
I use an awl for the errant drop or two which pop right off if you slap a little wax on the bars now and then. I use blue tape or wax paper as well to keep the glue off in the first place but that's a plan for after the clean up. It sounds like you have a larger problem than that so I guess a heat gun and patience would do the trick.

Bob Genovesi
04-19-2009, 7:48 AM
Most of the time the glue peals right off mine although some persuasion is sometimes needed. I've pasted a torch over the area just enough to heat it up, only a couple of seconds and that generally does the trick.

Waxing is another good idea and just about any wax will do the trick nicely. If you happen to think about it "before" you start gluing drape some wax paper over the rails and the problems solved.