PDA

View Full Version : Reducing enlarged screw hole

Michael Wildt
04-18-2009, 8:05 PM
Got a el'cheepo coffee table that has hold up fine for the last +12 years. The legs are of the type that has a screw embedded in the end and then screwed into the table top. Table top is a torsion box with birch veneer. Nice and clean lines really. I've in the past glued some wood stick in the holes and then re-attached the legs. This time they have gotten so wobbly that I don't think that would work. Guess the side load of putting the our own legs up really did it this time.
I figured I could drill the holes large then glue in a dowel and then redrill for the legs screws. Only thing is that a dowel's grain would probably not give that much holding power.

Ideally we want a new coffee table, but so far we've put it off until we find a design that we like. Hope to get a jointer soon so I can build one, but for now this has to do.

Any suggestions other than doing the dowel trick or use epoxy ? Putting a small 'skirt' on would make it more stable to side load but that is probably pushing it cost wise.

Michael

Joe Scharle
04-18-2009, 8:27 PM
A metal bushing instead of a dowel might do it.

Dan Friedrichs
04-18-2009, 8:49 PM
Would it be possible to epoxy a nut into it, and then thread a bolt into it? Or use a T-nut?

Tony Bilello
04-18-2009, 9:18 PM
Got a el'cheepo coffee table that has hold up fine for the last +12 years. The legs are of the type that has a screw embedded in the end and then screwed into the table top. Table top is a torsion box with birch veneer. Nice and clean lines really. I've in the past glued some wood stick in the holes and then re-attached the legs. This time they have gotten so wobbly that I don't think that would work. Guess the side load of putting the our own legs up really did it this time. It could still work again. Maybe the wood stick you used should be a harder wood with a tighter fit, that is, cut a nice clean hole with say a hole saw and make an insert or use a router and cut a square insert. I figured I could drill the holes large then glue in a dowel and then redrill for the legs screws. Only thing is that a dowel's grain would probably not give that much holding power.
Ideally we want a new coffee table, but so far we've put it off until we find a design that we like. Hope to get a jointer soon so I can build one, but for now this has to do. A joiner is not necessary if you have a good table saw and a good blade. I build furniture and don't even own a joiner. Check out my tables and bowls in my profile as testament.
Any suggestions other than doing the dowel trick or use epoxy ? Putting a small 'skirt' on would make it more stable to side load but that is probably pushing it cost wise.

Michael

Hope my suggestions will help.

Greg Hines, MD
04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I would suggest using a large diameter dowel if the top can handle it. I have heard of using a Domino for that sort of thing in particleboard too. Regardless, glue it in well, and then pilot drill your screw into the dowel.

Doc

jerry nazard
04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Put a threaded insert in the enlarged hole and replace the dowel screw in the leg with a hanger bolt.

Michael Wildt
04-19-2009, 8:06 AM
Thanks guys. Tonight I'll try to take it apart again then try putting in a dowel first. If that fails then I'll explore the other ideas. Using a different threaded insert in leg/top will be more work than I think the table is worth.