PDA

View Full Version : Festool Sander Failure

Todd Burch
04-18-2009, 6:59 PM
I bought this back in early 2004. It's an ES 150/3 EQ. It's been a good sander, but never as vibration free as I had expected. This afternoon, I was using it and it came apart. I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence with these sanders?

Is Bob (the Festool guy) from New Jersey still around? I haven't posted in a while. I bought it from him.

Todd - still in Katy, Texas - but not for long.

Jamie Buxton
04-18-2009, 7:17 PM
Hullo, stranger! Long time no see!

I have a 6" Festool sander which is nearly ten years old. It has never done what yours has. However, the velcro hooks do wear off, so I have replaced the pad several times.

Todd Burch
04-18-2009, 7:29 PM
Hey Jamie!!

I was just on the Festool parts web site. Looks like $40 for a replacement. If I remember correctly, I think this was my second pad, the first one being replaced pretty early on after purchase due to vibration.

Todd

Jason White
04-19-2009, 2:23 PM
Looks like you just need a new pad. They stock them at Woodcraft and Rockler.

Jason

I bought this back in early 2004. It's an ES 150/3 EQ. It's been a good sander, but never as vibration free as I had expected. This afternoon, I was using it and it came apart. I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence with these sanders?

Is Bob (the Festool guy) from New Jersey still around? I haven't posted in a while. I bought it from him.

Todd - still in Katy, Texas - but not for long.

Dave Sabo
04-19-2009, 7:54 PM
Looks to me like it dry rotted, it's hard to tell from the picture. I've seen similar with tennis shoes that haven't been used in a while or exposed to sunlight. Could also be from heat buildup, does it have a lot of mileage on it? The rest of the sander doesn't look like it was rode hard and put up wet.

Jim Becker
04-19-2009, 9:13 PM
Todd, yes Bob is still around. You can PM here at SMC, even...

Sander pads do have a life span. There is a lot of heat generated from friction while sanding.

'Glad to hear you're fine. Where are you heading after Katy?

Todd Burch
04-19-2009, 10:00 PM
It probably failed due to age, non-use and heat. I went to use one of my Porter Cable ROS's as a back up, and found that both the dust collector canisters had their o-rings broken as well. (I haven't made any sawdust for a few years.) When I was using the Festool, I used it a lot and hard, but I do try to take care of my stuff.

I'll be ordering a new pad on Monday. I found the packaging for the first replacement, so I have the part# I need.

Jim, not sure where yet. Kevin, our only kid, will graduate high school this spring, and when he goes off to OU this fall, we'll be empty nesters. We'll be moving out of this high tax rate school district and downsize too. We'll probably stay in Texas, just head out of the big cities and maybe into some rolling hills. West most likely. Maybe some North too.

Todd

Michael J. McDermott Jr.
04-20-2009, 6:50 AM
The Festool Guy from New Jersey is BOB MARINO, Yes He is Still Around !!

Todd Burch
04-20-2009, 8:17 AM
Marino!!! Thanks Michael. I forgot his last name.

Mike Gottlieb
04-20-2009, 1:13 PM
Todd, This happened to my EQ 150/5 about 18 months after purchase. I sent it back to Festool, who checked out the sander and replaced the pad. The only cost to me was the postage to Festool. I received it back within 2 weeks. It has been flawless ever since.

Clint Schlosser
04-20-2009, 1:49 PM
Lets see if I understand. A 285$ sander and the replacement pads cost 40$? What makes this tool so awesome that just servicing the thing costs more than some less advanced models.

Clifford Mescher
04-20-2009, 2:30 PM
Lets see if I understand. A 285$ sander and the replacement pads cost 40$? What makes this tool so awesome that just servicing the thing costs more than some less advanced models.
:) That made me chuckle but I don't think I'll be laughing when I replace mine.( I recently purchased that exact model.) Clifford.

Jerry White
04-20-2009, 2:53 PM

If I remember correctly, that's pretty close to what a new pad cost me for my Bosch sander.