PDA

View Full Version : Detail Sanders

Roger Bolen
04-18-2009, 6:35 PM
I am interested in acquiring a detail sander and am looking at the Festool DX E Detail Sander and the Fein Mulitmaster. I have a Porter Cable detail sander that I purchased about 12 years ago and it is a real POS, it’s been stuffed in the back of a cabinet somewhere and never used after the first miserable attempt at sanding with it. I don’t want to repeat that experience and would like some input from anyone that has used either or both of the above sanders. The price seems to be about a push between them and I don’t care about all of the gadgets that the Multimaster has, I need a capable detail sander that does just that, sands. Any input would be appreciated.
Roger

Rich Engelhardt
04-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Hello,
IIIII bbbooouuugghhhttt aaa DDDrrreeemmmeeelll aaannnddd uuussseeeddd iiittt tttooodddaaayyy.

As you can see, it vibrates just a tad ;).
That's been one of the knocks against the Dremel vs the Fein.

FWIW - the Festool comes with a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

John Sanford
04-19-2009, 1:27 PM
The new Fein is the cream of the crop, this from my local tool pusher who sells Festool, Fein, Bosch, and Porter-Cable. The Bosch and Dremel are siblings, they work okay but are buzzy. The Festool is a bit better than the previous generation Fein, but rather than sitting on their laurels when their patents ran out, Fein moved the bar with their new one. Of course, it and the Festool are much more expensive than the others.

Ron Bontz
04-19-2009, 1:37 PM
+1 one the Fein detail sander from an x PC user. But Wait!! There's More. It slices and dices and cuts clean holes. A multi function tool that actually works. The only down side is the cost of the accessories. I have only looked at the Bosch or Dremel.

Michael Stanley
04-19-2009, 1:47 PM
The
Fein's profile sanding kit works very good for me. The
Multimaster is handy tool to have around for other purposes as well.

Greg Johnson
04-19-2009, 3:31 PM
I got my Fein a couple months ago and it is WAY more than just a sander. That was what really sold me on it. I just finished a bathroom remodel and used it for a lot of the little akward jobs that would have me running out to the shop and bringing in another tool. The scraper and saws are incredible. It never found it's back into the case. It's one of those tools that you can't justify, but once you have it.... ya wonder how ya got along without it. By the way... It's a great sander too.

Greg