PDA

View Full Version : Location of dust port on Jet table saw

Peter Nigg
04-18-2009, 5:02 PM
The dust port on my Jet cabinet saw is on the left side when standing in front of the saw. As a result I either have to step over the collector tube or run a 90 degree to the back of the saw and outfeed table before coming back around to the DC. My question is whether anyone has moved the port and interior angled floor to the right side? It seems to me the port should be on the right side or in the back, however I wonder if there is a design reason for it being on the left. Any thoughts?

Ellen Benkin
04-18-2009, 7:37 PM
Typical lousy design by people who never use the tools.

Tom Veatch
04-18-2009, 9:13 PM
I run 6" duct all the way to my tools so I needed to modify the dust port of my Jet TS. Wound up cutting a hole in the back of the cabinet so the dust port is in the back under the outfeed table and totally out of the way.

Mine seems to work fine being on the back. The only advantage I see to being on the left is, depending on the particular system configuration, a manually operated blast gate might be a little more convenient to operate and or connection to overhead ductwork might be simpler without an outfeed or extention table to contend with. My gates are all automatic and ductwork is below the floor so that's not a factor.

Mark Carlson
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
My General 650 had the same idiotic setup. I almost bought the 350 because it had the port on the right. I ended up putting a cap on the 4in port and put a 5in port in the back and tilted the chute towards the back. Going from a 4 to a 5in port and getting rid of the 180 degree bend made a huge improvement in dust collection.

~mark