PDA

View Full Version : Vista. Again.

Rich Stewart
04-18-2009, 12:50 PM
So, I am visiting some friends in Hawaii and I am checking my email on their computer. I did not download anything. Just reading. The computer suddenly just shuts off my email and says it is doing some updates. When the updates are finished the computer won't connect to the internet now. Shows a page that says windows can not display this website. It is running Vista home edition. Norton 360. There also was a window that showed up after the updates that said something was trying to access the computer and do i want to allow or block. I told it to block. Anybody have any ideas to get it back working?

Thanks,

Rich

Brent Leonard
04-18-2009, 1:53 PM
unistall Norton.
McCaffee and Norton are terrible, IMO.

Actually, I'm kidding on the unistall. Although that would be what I would do. The "IT" at my office hates me because I refuse to run the MCAffe on my office PC.
(I use the Microsoft anti-virus product)

Rich Stewart
04-18-2009, 2:07 PM
Not my computer. Not my decision. I just feel real bad now because I don't know if it is something I did or not. They use their computer quite a bit and, although they haven't said anything, I know they are missing it. Whenever anything goes wrong with my computer, I blame the last person using it.

Brent Leonard
04-18-2009, 3:49 PM
That's why I was not serious about the uninstall.

Although, I believe, based on what you stated, there is a program conflict between vista and Norton, locking up the internet access.

JMHO. It's like fixing a car, you hear a clickety clunk? One can only guess what the problem is!

David G Baker
04-18-2009, 4:09 PM
Rich,
I have been having some unusual glitches with my computers. I will be on a site, click on an item and IE will close. This has happened a couple of times. The only recent changes I have made is to upgrade to IE version 8 a week ago.

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 4:34 PM
Much beter browser IMHO.

and its free:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

Rich Stewart
04-18-2009, 5:45 PM
HAH!! I told my friend about uninstalling Norton, he did it and we are back online. I think he is going to explore some alternative security software. Thanks very much.

Jim Becker
04-19-2009, 8:50 PM
When you chose to block the access you likely accidentally shut off your Internet connection. The security software will often ask this kind of question after an update of the OS if a network element is involved. It's important to actually read the warning notice when that happens so you can ascertain if it's a valid program request or not. (ZoneAlarm will do the same thing after updates, for example)

Rich Stewart
04-20-2009, 1:17 PM
I'll keep that in mind Jim. Thanks! It's all magic to me so I am always doing something wrong.

John Schreiber
04-20-2009, 1:26 PM
When you chose to block the access you likely accidentally shut off your Internet connection. The security software will often ask this kind of question after an update of the OS if a network element is involved. It's important to actually read the warning notice when that happens so you can ascertain if it's a valid program request or not. (ZoneAlarm will do the same thing after updates, for example)
I'm sure you're right. The problem with Vista's method is that most people have no idea what the details of the warning message mean. Vista thinks it's smarter than us, but this time it couldn't even identify that the connection where the update came in on might still be useful after the update was completed.

Vista ()*!Q@$