PDA

View Full Version : Just got some new tools

Scott Hackler
04-18-2009, 12:19 PM
...and man are they massive. I started with a set of 6 Sorby tools. Some of you might have read that I broke my 5/16 gouge while trying to hollow out a deep bowl. So earlier this week, I ordered a 3/8" fingernail ground gouge, a 1/2" fingernail ground gouge, a 1/2" extra heavy duty round nose scraper, and a heavy duty bowl scraper (inboard). All Robert Sorby brand. (onsale and free shipping at Woodcraft! :) )

WHOLEY MOLY these new tools are massive. Appearantly the "set" I bought was designed for spindle work and very light duty because these new ones are so much more in shear size. I think the length alone has got to be 6 more inches at least, not to meantion the thinkness of the steel.

Anyway I thought that I would share this as initially I was very impressed, with the set, but tripley so with these new individually bought tools. They are going to make my bowl work a lot easier.

Greg Haugen
04-18-2009, 4:42 PM
Scott,
It sounds like you have a nice set of tools. That's one of the main issues with "sets" of tools that most people start with, they're often small tools and the majority of the time-strictly spindle tools. I'm sure there are many people that tried to use the little 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick round nose scraper that came with the "set" on a bowl or something. to find out the hard way about undersized tools and tool steel.

You'll really like the new tools.

Enjoy!