PDA

View Full Version : Older PM141& Carter Bearings

Carroll Courtney
04-18-2009, 8:24 AM
Guys,I have a 70's PM141 bandsaw and going through it completely.I have order new tires from Carter's and while at their web site check out the new setup they have for the PM's.Have any of you guys upgraded from the old PM setup to Carters setup?Was there enought improvement to justify spending 200.00 for this setup?There is really nothing wrong with mine that new set of bearings won't fix,just that the PM's same noisey and small blades don't track well.----Thanks Carroll

Alex Shanku
04-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, I use a 141 for blades 3/4 - 1/4 and they track great. I dont see how the carter blade guide will help your tracking issues.....proper crowning of your new tires will.

I use the standard 6200 bearings for the guides. Personally, I could not justify spending 200+ for their setup, although, I am sure it would run great.

Alex Shanku
04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
While you have it semi-torn down, why not replace the wheel bearings, too. 6203's with rings up top and 6204 with rings on the bottom, I think.

Carroll Courtney
04-18-2009, 2:02 PM
Alex,thanks for replying.Your right,I can't come up with any reason to replace the bearings for the blade.I do like the position of the thrust bearing on Carter,but 200.00 I was just wondering if the earth would shake making the switch.I have replace the bearings on both shafts and now waiting on a tire.I did have a complete set,but while crowning one of the tires the disc sander pulled it off the wheel and sanded through the tire.So I have order another,17.00 well spent!