PDA

View Full Version : Several catches, a pile of curls and some kindling

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Yep!!!
Thats what I did this evening:o...
Ya think a mushroom would be easy....:eek:

Just reminding myself I'm a noob....Thats all,,,,nevermind...nothing to see here just move along and pretend I never posted this....

Practice.... practice,,, and some more practice...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Mark,

Like all things...you gotta get in the mileage! Don't give up!

I have a new friend locally that is taking up turning. A couple of weeks ago he borrowed a book and DVD from me after getting a sharpening lesson. Last week I called him "How it the bowl turning coming?" "I'm getting too many catches!" came his reply. I asked "Did you watch Grumbines's video?" "Nope..haven't had time" "Find time...it was a significant help to me" He called Thursday to see if I had any Anchorseal. I didn't but I said I was going to order 5 gallons. I asked how his turning was coming. "I finished roughing out my first bowl. I wanted to seal it like Grumbine does. I only had 2 catches......and I got my bandsaw set up using Duginske's book. Works like a charm now. Cuts like it's going through warm butter".

Get the mileage! It'll come.

alex carey
04-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Turning has a learning curve.
Ken is right, join a club, find another turner, or get a movie. It'll speed things up.

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm stuck in a vortex. It was real neat when I had the curls flyin up my arms, When ya get a good edge and the wood just jumps from the piece...

I'm kinda pushing the limits of my novice ability...:rolleyes: But I had some oak ribbons flying:D

Rich Boehlke
04-18-2009, 1:11 AM
Been there too, Mark. Everybody gets them some times. I still have LOTS to learn but getting with another turner for some hands on show and tell is the best way to shorten the learning curve. Keep turning....

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 1:59 AM
If there were only more turners near me...

I just might put out some feelers and see if there is any...

Dan Forman
04-18-2009, 3:23 AM
If you look, I bet you'll find some!

Dan

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 12:22 PM
If you look, I bet you'll find some!

Dan

I think I'll do just that!

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2009, 5:10 PM
Mark as Ken said get the mileage in. It takes time, patience, and practice. Keep at it and it will come.

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 5:20 PM
Will do Bernie:)

I just got a little excited with the curls flying and got too agressive. A little practice is in order.. I have five kids so I know patience;)

Jeff Nicol
04-18-2009, 5:59 PM
Mark, Turning is like fishing, hunting or other hobbies you are passionate about, when it stops being fun and exciting it is time to do something new! I for one eat, breathe and sleep wood and turning! It is the best therapist in the world and always brings something new to your day!

Have fun and even if all you do is turn big pieces into toothpicks, the practice will be advantagous when you get the concrete giant finished!

Jeff

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 6:31 PM
Mark, Turning is like fishing, hunting or other hobbies you are passionate about, when it stops being fun and exciting it is time to do something new! I for one eat, breathe and sleep wood and turning! It is the best therapist in the world and always brings something new to your day!

So true Jeff, more so than you know. I spent six years working on restoring an old muscle car. The last year or so it got to be more of a chore than a hobby. So I sold it a few weeks ago and I can't believe what a relief it was when I did.. I did woodworking many years ago and decided to pick it up again. Then I caught wind of the vortex:D

Have fun and even if all you do is turn big pieces into toothpicks, the practice will be advantagous when you get the concrete giant finished!

Jeff

I'm working on the final details for the monolathe, might even mix mud tomorrow:eek: Look for an update (with pics of course;))