PDA

View Full Version : Five buck router fence

Stan Johnsey
04-17-2009, 9:22 PM
The previous owner started putting a router on the extention table of my table saw. I finished by putting in my PC 890. I had to open up the hole to 1 3/8 to get the collet through and shorten the screw a bit. This left me with a router table and no fence . . . and no money. I wanted a fence that was a bit taller than you usually see, 6" seemed reasonable.

I cut a piece of 3/4" MDF 12" x 48" then cut this down to 28 1/2" (width of table) x 12". Cut a 3" whole in the middle and the ripped the 28 1/2" x 12" piece in half. After I looked at it, it look better when the piece that is the back/base was 3/4" narrower on the hole side because the hole in the base and the hole in the face now had the came center (router shaft). Cut two 5" x 5" squares from the end of the 12" piece leftover and the cut them in half on the diagonal for braces.

After don' extensive reasearch on screws in MDF I drilled 7/64 pilot holes for the butt joint between the base and the face the full depth of the #8 MDF screws (guy at the scew store called 'em cement board screws) and and also the braces (one on each face of the brace). After I had the pilot hole drilled I drilled the head sides to the shank diameter of the screws to allow the scew to pull it together and then used a fostner bit to countersink the holes. Used Titebond II to glue it together

After lookin' at and admirin' my work for about 20 seconds it occured to me that if I put a couple of blocks (about 1" x 2") to the back edge of the fence I could clamp my router fence to the Biesmeyer fence and avoid having to clamp it to the table and allow me to move it easily.

A competent wood worker could whup this out in 30 minutes. It took me a couple of hours.

This is a prototype. Next one will have a track or slot to attach featherboard.

Mike Langford
04-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Stan, Are there suppose to be pics with this post? :rolleyes:

Stan Johnsey
04-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm technologically backward. Do you hafta have your pics parked somewhere are can down load 'em to this site?

Stephen Edwards
04-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Stan,

You can upload pics to go with your posts. Hit the reply button at the bottom of the thread, or the edit button (I think) of your first post. You'll see a paper clip on the top row of options in your new post or edit. Click on the paper clip. At the top of the new window that will pop up after clicking on the paper clip, you'll see an option to browse your computer to upload a pic.

Before uploading the pic please refer to the list of formats allowed to be uploaded and the maximum file size of each format. You may have to decrease the size and or resolution of your pics before uploading.

You can visit the tech support forum for more details. You can also ask questions in that forum to get help in learning how to do this.

We'd like to see pics of your five buck router fence!

Kind Regards,