PDA

View Full Version : More computer fun..now my router is dead....

Terry Hatfield
08-01-2004, 9:29 AM
Man, do I love computers or what??? :D

Last night I couldn't get on the net. I rebooted everything, but when I rebooted the router, nothing happened. No lites, no router. I'm plugged directly into the modem with my computer right now, but I need to get both connected today. Katie will not be happy with no internet!!! :D

Does anyone have suggestions???? Something fairly inexpensive i.e. less than $100 would be nice. I got on Best Buy's and Circuit City's sites and looked around and now I'm more confused than I was before I went cyber shopping.

Routers, hubs, with firewalls, without firewalls...it's all Greek to me. What the heck to I really need to get 2 computers on the net???

Thanks,

t

Tyler Howell
08-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Terry,
I thought you were talking PC, Makita, and Dewalt, Not Bits, Bytes and Geek Squad! I have booted and rebooted my computer across the floor before, but I only hurt my foot:eek:
Sorry can' t help you. I call "IS" or my daughter and let them do their magic. Good luck.;)

Chuck Wintle
08-01-2004, 10:52 AM
What i did to avoid buying a router was to connect my 2 computers back to back with a crossover lan wire to the lan connections. The computer with the modem allows the other computer to access the net.

Keith Outten
08-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Terry,

I recommend a LinkSys router, it has a built-in hardware firewall which is a must to protect your network.

Brian Austin
08-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Linksys is now owned by Cisco, giving it a little more support in the networking technologies world. Being Cisco isn't always a good thing but never hurt anyone either. :p

I've installed several Linksys WRT54G routers with built-in firewalls for my company's employees home access (I tend to support their home PCs as well as their company-owned equipment). It's a good, solid system with no stellar qualities but all the basics that are required for safe computing, both wired (four ports) and wireless. We've paid $66 through Insight for these. Best Buy is showing them for $79 before a $10 mail-in rebate according to their website.

If you don't need wireless, its counterpart, the BEFSX41, is also showing on Best Buy for $79 with no rebate.

Either one of these should do what you need.
Good luck.

Don Abele
08-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Terry, as Keith and Bryan have already suggested, Linksys is the way to go. I have a complete network at my home (5 PC's, a server, and 2 laptops). I have a router, wireless router, cable modem, and print server - all are Linksys and all have given me no trouble what so ever. And since you are computer...err...light... :D ...their tech support is excellent.

I personally have the BEFSX41. It's a 4 port cable/DSL router with a built-in hardware firewall. A quick search found the best price at Buy.com = $59.99 with free shipping. I also checked for "real" stores and in my local area Circuit City is selling it for the same price (plus tax). So I think I'd check out CC and get one today :)

Matt Meiser
08-01-2004, 1:30 PM
Another vote for Linksys. I've got one with 802.11G wireless, but the "old" wired ones should be pretty cheap these days. I think Best Buy had an 802.11B wireless in their ad today for something like $20 after rebates. You could just turn off the wireless option if you don't need/want it.

I've also got a Netgear model, which I use to get a wireless signal to the office computer in my shop. I find I have more trouble connecting to it with my work laptop than the Linksys models.

Ed Falis
08-01-2004, 2:02 PM
Terry,

Which OS are you running on your computer? Is it always plugged, or is it mobile?

If you're running, NT/2000/XP, you can use internet connection sharing that comes with the OS. You'll need 2 ethernet cards on the computer: one to the modem; the other to either hub or (using a crossover cable) directly to the other computer. Hub is better, as it's easier to add computers, printers etc.

You also need firewall software - ZoneAlarm Pro is well worth the $40 or so. I'm assuming you're already using a virus scanner and one or more spyware eliminators.

This is a cheapo way to go, but it works well enough (we have a print server, a wireless access point, 3 desktops and 2 laptops going with this basic setup, though I use Linux now instead of Windows on a couple of the machines, including the gateway to the network).

- Ed

Terry Hatfield
08-01-2004, 7:31 PM
Thanks guy's!!!!!! Amazing the wealth of information there is here. I ended up with the Linksys BEFSR41 instead of the X. No X's at Circut City. It was $40 including mail in $10 rebate. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again,

t

Jim Becker
08-01-2004, 8:59 PM
Terry, I recently upgraded from my older LinkSys router (which I fried) to the same unit that Brian mentions which adds the wireless capability. (Great since I need two access points in our home to get full coverage due to the wire lathe in the older part) I've always liked LinkSys products and despite the fact that the company is now owned by a major competitor of mine, I'll continue to use them for my personal network. Piece of cake to set up, too...

Mike Evertsen
08-01-2004, 9:09 PM
you did in one day what took me 6 months to do :p I finally took my to a computer shop when I got on direcway to set it up.

Dennis Peacock
08-02-2004, 2:50 AM
Well...at least all you had to do was replace your router.

I just got back online after having to replace my hard drive AND rebuilding my machine from scratch.!!! :mad:

At least now...it's on a new hard drive with more space to fill up. :rolleyes: