PDA

View Full Version : Roy Rocket manual vacuum kit?

Brian Knop
04-17-2009, 2:29 PM
Has anyone tried this? They sell them at woodcraft

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=145951&FamilyID=5200

Bruce Page
04-17-2009, 2:59 PM
Brian, you should edit your post to include a link.

Thomas Knapp
04-17-2009, 7:24 PM
I have one and yes they work. I have used mine to press veneer on a couple of projects. I bought the one with the Square 28" by 28" bag. I think I got mine at Rocklers. The hand pump will give you a little work out. Squeeze all the air you can out before sealing the bag. Also make sure your get the seal tape pressed down well. I don't think they are convenient for production work, but they are an economical alternative for hobby type projects. I turned an adapter out of HDP on my lathe that fits the valve on the bag. I now use my vacuum pump instead of the hand pump to create the vacuum.

Bob Aquino
04-17-2009, 8:35 PM
I got one, couldnt get it to seal to save my life and took it back. To me it was junk.

Thomas Knapp
04-17-2009, 9:01 PM
I got one, couldnt get it to seal to save my life and took it back. To me it was junk.
You have to press the plastic into the tape for the whole lenth of the opening. You can see through the plastic, when it sticks to the tape the area looks darker and glossier. You have to make sure you work the tape into the corners also. I think the sealing tape is one of the limitations of the system, and one of the reasons it is more of a hobby tool than a production tool. Clamping the bag over the seal between two boards also helps.

Jamie Buxton
04-17-2009, 9:11 PM
Joe Woodworker did a review, and wasn't impressed: http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/roarockitreview.htm

Scott Rollins
04-18-2009, 9:42 AM
I have one, as others have said it is a lot of work. A shop vac helps get most of the air out though. If you only have one project it is a good starter set-up when you get the bag sealed well.
I upgraded to a Joe woodworker set-up after I got a taste of veneering. :)