PDA

View Full Version : Both Laser and Rotary Engravers?

David James
04-17-2009, 2:26 PM
My operation is laser engraving only…. yet I have allot of people inquire about rotary engraving since the general public doesn’t know the difference. Most of the calls are for wedding stuff; flask, silverware, lockets, and cuff links. I usually don’t get any work out of it.

My ? is…do most of you professional engravers operate both a laser and rotary engraving system? I am proficient in laser engraving but know nothing about rotary engraving, how similar are the two and what is the general set of a rotary system?

Thanks for your help,
David James.

Joe Pelonio
04-17-2009, 3:09 PM
As a sign shop the laser is only part of my business. In the 6 or so years since I have had the laser I have only had need for rotary 2-3 times and was able to use a friend that has one run it for me. The biggest advantage is probably etching metal. The laser truly does a better, more detailed job on letters and logos. If you are strictly an engraving shop, I'd really consider having both unless you get a Ytterbium Fiber Laser that can do metal.

Mike Null
04-17-2009, 8:10 PM
If you're interested in doing silver gifts and jewelry then a diamond drag machine is essential.

I've had mine computer operated Newing Hall for about a year and a half. I will work the entire weekend on diamond drag work and even into next week.

Late last year I picked up a jewelry store and have another personalized gift store waiting for me to accept their business. These are wholesale accounts but still profitable. I have one high school which still insists on diamond drag plaques.

You can start on the cheap by buying a pantograph and make patterns for it with the laser.

There is opportunity as many of the older engraving shops are closing and jewelry stores tend not to like to do engraving.

Stephen Beckham
04-17-2009, 9:28 PM
I agree with both Joe and Mike - I've had to turn down maybe seven jobs over the last three years because I don't have the diamond drag or rotary etcher. So no precious metals or "real" brass.

The cheapest system I could find with my 'minimum' requirements was $3500ish. So would I have found more jobs to do if I had one? Not sure, but I know the seven jobs that I've turned down would not have made the payments over the last three years.

I'm glad with my decision to pass on adding it to the store - will I some day? Heck - when the powerball hits for me - there's a good chance!

Rodne Gold
04-18-2009, 6:26 AM
We have a small computerised roatary (Roland pnc 2300a) that does diamond drag as well as motorised rotary , we also have a Gravograph TX3 that sees much more use than the computerised thing (its manual) but thats cos it does cups and we use it for the shields on the base of cups ...we are a trophy co amongst other stuff.
However what is VERY useful in terms of rotary engravers are the smaller overhead gantry type mini routers. This opens huge markets as they can deep engrave flat stock including metals and they can profile the same , some can do 2 1/2 d engraving etc and most can be fitted with a floating diamond spindle for drag engraving. They arent6 ideal for gift engraving.
Gravograph has a nice computerised machine specifically for giftware , i think its the iso 400 gift , but its pricey. A machine like that is only profitable if you are doing multiples of a job , not for the occasional onesies , like if you were engraving wholesale for a promotional gift supplier.

Mike Null
04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Rodney

I agree about the value of having cylindrical engraving ability. About 30 pieces of nearly a 100 for this weekend will be Revere bowls or pewter cups. As you know you charge a premium for cylindrical engraving.

One of the jobs will be cutting holes in engravers aluminum for insetting challenge coins.

The rest of my weekend will be making CLT name tags.

I don't believe I will use the laser for anything this wekend.