PDA

View Full Version : Death of long-time contributor: Carl Eyman

Lynn Sonier
04-17-2009, 2:22 PM
It gives me great sadness to announce that Carl Eyman, a long time participant in Sawmill Creek, died yesterday. About a year ago, he felt it necessary to close down his shop and sell all his tools. Then, last October, he and his wife, Leslie, moved into an assisted-living facility in Terrytown, which is the west bank of New Orleans.

Lynn J. Sonier
sailorone@charter.net

Bruce Page
04-17-2009, 3:02 PM
R.I.P. Carl.
You will be greatly missed.

Mike Henderson
04-17-2009, 3:12 PM
I'm so very sorry to learn that Carl passed away. I communicated with him several times about early American furniture. He was very knowledgeable and always a gentlemen. He'll be missed.

Mike

John Keeton
04-17-2009, 3:18 PM
I didn't have the pleasure of being a member when Carl was active, but obviously he left a legacy. Condolences to his wife and family.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2009, 3:28 PM
Carl was knowledgeable and a gentleman. I always valued his opinion. He will be missed.

Chris Padilla
04-17-2009, 4:23 PM
I remember Carl...not sure he has posted in a while. My condolences to his freinds and family.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=540

The above is Carl's personal page here on the Creek.

Steve Clardy
04-17-2009, 4:33 PM
Sorry to hear of Carl't passing.
My condolences to his family.

I bought a used router from him quite some back. A truly standup gentleman.

dennis thompson
04-17-2009, 4:48 PM
Carl was a wonderful guy. I once asked a question on this forum about building a grandfather clock. Carl not only responded ,but sent me, at no charge , a book on making clocks and several plans for grandfather clocks.
I will miss him. If his website is still up take a look at his work, it is truly incredible.
Dennis

Dewey Torres
04-17-2009, 5:42 PM
I never knew him but I did take the time to read some of his posts:

Here was his last work:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35866

Glenn Clabo
04-17-2009, 6:01 PM
A kind and gentle man...RIP Carl.

Don Morris
04-17-2009, 7:01 PM
I took a look at some of his work. His legacy will go on for many a generation. If he was trying for that he sure succeeded. RIP

Don Abele
04-17-2009, 7:08 PM
Sad. I enjoyed Carl's work very much - he was a true artist.

My heart felt condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Be well,

Doc

John Shuk
04-17-2009, 7:44 PM
Godspeed Carl.

Keith Outten
04-17-2009, 8:38 PM
Its sad to lose someone who has been with us for such a long time and who became a good friend. Carl and his exceptional talent will be missed here.

Jim O'Dell
04-17-2009, 9:37 PM
So sorry to hear of Carl's passing. I remember reading his posts and sensing that he was a true artist and kind soul. Prayers for his family. Jim.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-17-2009, 9:49 PM
My condolences to Carl's family. He is missed here at the Creek.

Kyle Stiefel
04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
May his family get through these difficult times with peace.

Mike Langford
04-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Rest In Peace Carl........My Condolences & Prayers for his family

Jim Kountz
04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
RIP Carl, best wished to the family in this difficult time.

John Stevens
04-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I was just thinking about Carl yesterday. Actually, I thought of him often, even though I never had the pleasure of meeting him. Just based upon his presence here, he was a very memorable person. A gifted woodworker, but also a gentleman with strong convictions that he did not wear on his sleeve, but which showed through from time to time.

I'm indebted to him for his willingness to share his knowledge of woodworking here, and also to his service in our country's military.

I will miss him--and how much greater is the loss to his family. My sincere condolences go to them.

Solemn regards,

John

Stephen Edwards
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Though I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Carl, my hear felt prayers and thoughts are extended to his family and friends. Happy woodworking on the other side of the River, Carl.............

Kindly,

Dennis Peacock
04-18-2009, 3:20 PM
Carl will be missed for sure. Rest in peace my friend.

Jim Tobias
04-18-2009, 4:03 PM
Carl always seemed to be very knowledgeable and willing to help. He also seemed (to me) to represent the "non judgemental", "willing to help anyone" attitude that is so representative of the Sawmill Creek forum. Thanks Carl for being a part of the Creek and helping us all. May you rest in peace and may your family be conforted by the memory of the true gentleman that you were.

jim

Todd Burch
04-18-2009, 7:05 PM
I remember Carl. Great guy around the forums. (I've been away from this forum on any kind of regular basis for several years.)

David Peacock
04-18-2009, 7:08 PM
Rest in peace Carl. My condolences to the family in this time of loss.

Charlie Jones
04-18-2009, 8:12 PM
My condolences to his family. I did not have the pleasure of knowing him. He sounds like a fine gentleman and woodworker.

Mike Cutler
04-18-2009, 11:45 PM
I had read this earlier,and just couldn't really get a handle on it. I always enjoyed Carl's posts. Straight forward, no nonsense, but always with an edge of understanding, teaching and compassion. Even his posts during/post Katrina were more about other people, and what they lost.

He was a good guy. someone I would have liked to have shot the breeze with and let the conversation follow it's course. I'm going to miss him here on the 'creek.

Peace friend..

Dave Anderson NH
04-19-2009, 8:29 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Carl for the first time as a result of this forum. He was a regular for several years at the annual 18th Century Furniture Conference each January at Colonial Williamsburg. We would always get togehter for converstion, drinks, and a meal or two while we attended the conference. Often we would sit together in Hennage Auditorium for the lectures and demonstrations. He was extremely knowledgeable about Queen Anne Chippendale styles of furniture and his workmanship was outstanding. Of all of his work, I enjoyed most his large Chippendale dining table with its full set of chairs. You can look this up through the archives.

I thoroughly enjoyed the times we were able to get together and talk about a wide variety of subjects. His quiet good humor and wide breadth of knowledge will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace my friend.

Thad Nickoley
04-19-2009, 2:36 PM
Its truely sad o hear about the passing of a craftsman. My prayers to thr family!

Think of the sawdust thats flying on the other side right now.

Lynn Sonier
04-21-2009, 6:09 PM
Thank you for your kind words about my father. Truly, he was a most exceptional man and friend to all he met. I am fortunate enough to be able to see most of the furniture in his photo gallery every day. At least in that, he will always be with me, and then with his beloved grandchildren... Certainly I will think of him every Sunday morning when I wind the Grandfather clock in the front hall.

Chip Eyman
ceyman@eyman.org

Alfred J Sevitski
04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Sometimes the best are called. R.I.P

Lynn Sonier
04-25-2009, 1:51 PM
I'd like to add a little to this thread. Carl and I lived a couple of blocks apart and our workshops were about half a mile apart. Carl pretty much taught me what little I know about woodworking. He was always available to help me with a project. He used to say I went to him for his opinion and then I did what I wanted. The reason for that is that his opinion on doing something went into a heck of a lot more detail than I was willing to go into.
I know Carl's wife and two sons and his grandchildren and they all follow in his footsteps in being exceptional people.
Suffice it to say that I will miss him a whole lot.
I would like to thank all those sawdust makers who took the time to post on this thread.

Roger Bell
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Very much the gentleman. Would have been privileged to meet him.

John Thompson
05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I did not know Carl.. but heartfelt condolences for the family.

Sarge..

Jason Roehl
05-13-2009, 2:52 PM
Wow, I missed this the first time around. My condolences to Carl's family. His presence at the Creek will certainly be missed.