PDA

View Full Version : Laser friendly dye-sub material

Alexa Ristow
04-17-2009, 1:04 PM
Does anyone know of a 3mm material which can be dye-sublimated on? I would like to make dye-sublimated key rings but need a substrate ! (I want a material with similar properties to acrylic) Someone suggested PETG but I thought I would ask here first !! I have also asked the signage dye sub forum for help but no response yet !

Suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Alexa

Gary Hair
04-17-2009, 1:17 PM
It may not be the best choice, but dynasub/unisub hardboard works well. I have cut lots of it with my laser and subbed name badges and wall plates. Another option might be precut aluminum pieces that you sub on both sides and epoxy dome.

Gary

Doug Griffith
04-17-2009, 2:27 PM
PETG has a low melting point and won't readilly accept ink without a special coating so I think it is out of the question.

Plus it doesn't laser well.

Stephen Beckham
04-17-2009, 9:08 PM
What about the new hard board that Conde sells? It's not really board, it's heavy compressed felt. Which will cut, laser and sublimate. Comes in different thicknesses. Not sure if it's what you'd want, but check it out.

-----

It's call TecBoard - they only carry it in one thickness, but when I was visiting down there, they were showing me several different thicknesses.