PDA

View Full Version : michigan sawmills?

Alan Lilly
04-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been trying to locate the local sawmills in southeast Michigan, so I can get rough sawn lumber and save some money. So far I've only found a couple.

Where are all the sawmills in SE Michigan?

Larry Edgerton
04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Are you talking air dried or kiln dried?

I use LL Johnson in Charlotte for most of my work, and they deliver in several states for a reasonable charge, a flat fee by distance. They don't ever disappoint me and I buy sight unseen.

Alan Lilly
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Whichever is available and cheaper. :)

What's the biggest difference between air and kiln dried?

mike holden
04-17-2009, 2:01 PM
Alan,
try woodfinder.com they list several in the area.
I buy most of my lumber from Armstrong in Milford - M59 and US23 area
Mike

Scott T Smith
04-17-2009, 4:06 PM
You can also check woodweb.com, and the Forrestryforum.com. The latter is based in Harrison, MI and has a lot of Michigan sawyers on it.

RE the difference between AD and KD,

KD allows more precise control of the drying process, especially during the early stages (green to 35% MC). This results in less degrade and higher quality lumber.

KD allows the operator to bring the MC% down to 6 - 10%, which is the range that it needs to be for furniture or other indoor projects.

KD allows the operator to "sterilize" the wood at the end of the kiln cycle, thereby killing any unwanted critters (and their larvae) nesting in the wood such as powder post beetles, termites, emerald ash borers, etc.

Certain species, that are not as likely to attract insects (such as black walnut) do well with AD, as long as they have adequate time in the woodshop to lose the rest of their MC.

Other fast drying species (such as cypress and eastern red cedar), are commonly AD as well.

Myk Rian
04-17-2009, 4:32 PM
Alan,
try woodfinder.com they list several in the area.
I buy most of my lumber from Armstrong in Milford - M59 and US23 area
Mike
So do I. It's only 5 miles down the road from me.

Ryan Baker
04-17-2009, 9:33 PM
I use Armstrong too. They are an hour from me, but still the closest by far. I hear there are some mills down in the Jonestown area, but I haven't been down there yet.

There is remarkably little in the area though.

Myk Rian
04-17-2009, 9:36 PM
There are a few fellows getting ready to go to the Bath (Raven Farms near Lansing) sawmill. It'll be in a couple weeks. PM me for details.

Michael Pierre Young
04-17-2009, 9:53 PM
I too use Armstrong in Highland.

richard poitras
04-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Alan, where about are you located in Michigan? I know of a guy in Gladwin that sell mostly to cabinet shops so his lumber is very good quality and at great prices and he will also sell to the little guy at the same prices. All his wood is kiln dried.

Myk Rian
04-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Alan;
Was that your post on semiww?

David G Baker
04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Richard,
I would like to get the name of the guy in Gladwin. I live near Clare Mi and have been looking for a local supplier.

Ed Hazel
04-18-2009, 12:56 AM
+ 5 for Armstrongs nice guys. Just down the road.
I have been in contact with LL Johnson and am planning on making a purchase from them in the near future.

Jim Andrew
04-18-2009, 3:39 AM
Lots of sawmill guys hang out at the forestry forum. And some are part time guys as well as full time sawmills. Seems like mills are showing up everywhere. Since I got mine, about 4 more have shown up near here. Sorry, not in Michigan. Jim

Larry Edgerton
04-18-2009, 9:25 AM
Richard,
I would like to get the name of the guy in Gladwin. I live near Clare Mi and have been looking for a local supplier.

I would be interested in them as well. We had a couple of decent ones up here but they bought molders and now want to pawn all of the leftover crap off on guys like me, so I am back to Johnsons. Gladwin is not too far, about 100 miles, I could do that.

richard poitras
04-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Larry and David Pm Sent…

Phil Watson
04-19-2009, 7:22 AM
I also would like to know the location of the saw mill in Gladwin.
Thanks,
Phil

richard poitras
04-19-2009, 8:53 PM
Phil Pm sent ...

Terry Brogan
04-20-2009, 5:20 PM
me too please

Larry Edgerton
04-21-2009, 7:38 AM
Thank you sir!

Mark J Hoffman
01-12-2014, 9:48 AM
I know this is an old posting, but I would be interested in the saw mill in Gladwin.

Myk Rian
01-12-2014, 1:21 PM
Looks like Alan bailed out of the thread.

Alan Lilly
01-12-2014, 2:08 PM
I'm here, sorry I Don't know about the gladwin sawmill

Ole Anderson
01-12-2014, 6:34 PM
Armstrong in Highland, my place of choice being 10 minutes away, is not a sawmill. They buy in bulk from sawmills. But they will mill the rough sawn stock if you wish. You won't believe how much work (and shavings) you can save by having them mill the stock to your desired thickness for almost nothing. They have giant jointers, planers and wide belt sanders as well as a molder with more than 1500 patterns available. Good stock of many domestic and exotic woods. A great bunch of guys, mostly Armstrong family. But come with cash or a checkbook, they don't take plastic. And if you come at noon you will have to wait until lunch is over, although you can pick over the stock while you wait. I have been to Johnsons in Charlotte (which is a sawmill) and the pricing advantage over Armstrong more than paid for my gas, but the trip was just not worth it, other than to browse their tool store.

Dominic Carpenter
01-12-2014, 9:41 PM
I use LL Johnson for nearly 20 years. Great guys and I have never been disappointed with their quality. Been around since the turn of the century in east central Michigan.

Myk Rian
01-13-2014, 7:46 AM
There is a saw mill near Whitmore lake. John's. or something like that.

Matt Meiser
01-13-2014, 8:41 AM
There's also Hickory and Oak out in Decatur. He usually makes a spring lumber run to SE Michigan organized in conjunction with SE Michigan Woodworkers. Also a couple mills in NW Ohio that advertise periodically on Craigslist but I don't know anything about them.