PDA

View Full Version : Nametag Fasteners

Dave West
04-17-2009, 9:54 AM
I've got an order for 80 nametags and was thinking of using the LaserMax 1.5mm stock I've got. Who do you recommend for a fastener vendor? Client wants a pin fastener. The ones I saw have adhesive backs and was wondering if it'd be strong enough.
http://www.nametag.com/fasteners.shtml

Thanks,

Dave

Joe Pelonio
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
That's what they are made for so they should be fine. Sometimes they will fail because the lock mechanism breaks but that's pretty rare unless abused by the wearer.

Make sure to wipe the back with denatured alcohol to remove any residue from cutting so the adhesive gets a good bite.

Scott Shepherd
04-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Make sure to wipe the back with denatured alcohol to remove any residue from cutting so the adhesive gets a good bite.

Do NOT skip that step. It's critical.

Mike Null
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I use about 2000 per year of JD121D from JDS. Never a complaint.

Gary Hair
04-17-2009, 1:29 PM
I use about 2000 per year of JD121D from JDS. Never a complaint.

Do you lose your name badge often Mike? :cool:

Rodne Gold
04-17-2009, 1:45 PM
One like this is better as it has a thinner pin and there is no fiddly safety catch thingy and is cheaper and is impossible to break

John Noell
04-17-2009, 3:15 PM
We've got corrosion issues here so we MUCH prefer the ones that Rodney shows. I'd love to find some shorter that 1 1/2" however. So far, best price in USA I have found is from namifiers.com

Mike Null
04-17-2009, 8:02 PM
Rodney

It is cheaper. But that's about the end of it.

Gary

I'm closing in on that age where everything's a mystery.

David Sacks
04-17-2009, 11:00 PM
What about the Magnet Backs? Do they work?
David

Carrol Fleming
04-18-2009, 3:07 AM
I have recently received my order of magnet backs and made a trial badge to test the strength of the magnets. I stuck the badge to a bag and carried that around for a few days - I felt the bag is more likely to get battered around and caught on stuff than my lapel. The badge stayed firmly attached. I would certainly recommend them over pin badges for office workers or shop assistants. For a recent order of badges for factory workers I used the pins just in case a badge did get dislodged into the machinery :eek:.

Carrol

Rodne Gold
04-18-2009, 5:57 AM
Mike , we used to use the first one , and had a back/badge breakage rate of about 3/100 in the first yr and more in the 2nd yr of use.
Since we switched over to the moulded one , we must have done almost 500 000 badges or more and have never had a back come loose or break.

We buy the one with the self adhesive back , its slightly spongy , that adhesive tape , for a little "give" and its the same sort of stuff they use for mirrors on walls , but thinner , sticks like crazy.

Mike Null
04-18-2009, 6:07 AM
Rodney

We don't sell nearly that many but we are in the multi thousands and the pin you are suggesting is our basic pin, we have no customers who opt for it. Instead they will pay a little more for the nickel clasp and virtually all of our commercial customers buy the magnetic clasp which is a very profitable item.

In 12 years I have had only one complaint about fasteners and that was on a magnet. (customer was right and I sent quite a few back to my supplier)

Rodne Gold
04-18-2009, 6:08 AM
There is a BIG problem with the magnet badges and that albeit its pretty stiff if you try pull the magnet off perpendicular to the badge , the badge can easily slide laterally and if the badge catches on anything , it tends to slide and get lost
Its also very heavy for thin fabrics as it adds weight and drags thin blouses etc down. Also has little clamping power for thick stuff.
We warn our customers of this. We have a high incidence of lost badges due to magnetic backs and this is a problem as we then have to do onesies to replace the badge.
The big reason ppl ask for magnetics is that it doesnt make holes in stuff. But as you said , its a lot more profitable to us so we dont mind doing em

Tim Bateson
04-18-2009, 8:33 AM
I know the magnets are a lot more expensive (about $0.80 each). How much more do you charge for them rather than using pins?

Mike Null
04-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Tim

I pay from .29 to .35 for mine and I charge $1.50 more than the nickel plated pins. I know some who get $3.00.

Bill Cunningham
04-18-2009, 1:40 PM
I have magnetic ones here that use 3 rare earth magnets, and it's all you can do to 'slide' it off never mind pull it off.. I charge $2.50 for these, but then everything costs more in Canada.. For the ordinary pins, I put a couple of drops of Acetone on the back of the badge where the pin goes, and just press them together. They sit for 20 min. before I heat seal them up in individual plastic just to make sure the acetone has totally evaporated.. In twenty years and too many badges to count, I have never had one come off. The acetone 'welds' the pin base there forever, and it's a LOT less expensive than the "recommended" boding agent..