PDA

View Full Version : As The Garden Grows

Boyd Gathwright
07-31-2004, 10:09 PM
As the season continues the garden grows, especially with all the rain we have had. Matter of fact, it is raining here tonight, big down pour. There has been too much rain already for the regular tomatoes. They cannot ripen fast enough because of all the water. My wife says that she has never seen vines as large as the one’s we have. Our grape tomatoes on the other hand are doing just fine, we control the amount of water in pot. What you see in the pics is one evening’s collection from the garden, not every evening. The last picking of sweet peas have been separated from the string beans in the bucket and are in the process of being washed. Later, being dried for vacuum packing then freezing. The green peppers are coming on like there is no tomorrow. The squash have been a regular produce and have just about run their course. My wife cuts up the cucumbers and marinates them in vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper and onion and they are delicious when served as a side salad. Cucumbers are good for you and we have them often. We should be eating corn on the cob in a week or so.

So that is the latest as the garden grows.

Boyd ;) <O:p</O:p

PS Follow on to, Ref. "Rain Rain Come Another Day" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9677

Wes Bischel
08-01-2004, 1:08 AM
Boyd,
Nice haul. Our little patch has been going crazy as well. My wife just canned this weeks pick of plum tomatoes (4 qts) - naturally this doesn't include the dozen or so on the counter! The rabbits got our green bean plants, but the wax beans are producing full bore. We swap wax beans with a friend for green beans which he has too many of. Must be the "year of the bean" looking at your pictures!

OBTW - Your cucumber salad sounds really good right now.

Wes

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2004, 7:22 AM
Hey Boyd,

All that makes me hungry!!! :D

Nice veggies and I REALLY like the cucumbers and onions concoction!!!!

Great going they Boyd.!!!!!

Don Abele
08-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Boyd, that looks like what we HAD growing here. Nice harvest. We planted cucumbers (BTW, LOML makes the same side salad), red, green, and yellow bell peppers, cherry and grape tomatoes, and several varieties of large tomatoes, snap peas, and japalanoes. We've had a terrible summer so far and it killed all but the cucumbers. Too much rain followed by too much heat. Most of my neighbors gardens all suffered the same fate. Oh well, at least the beginning was nice.

Boyd Gathwright
08-01-2004, 4:31 PM
Wes – We also put up (preserve) as much as we can to carry us though to next year. By the way if you put up a two (2) foot fence around your garden that will keep the rabbits out. They will NOT attempt to jump it but go to your neighbor’s garden instead, it’s easer. At least that’s what the (Head) rabbit told me, Ha.

Dennis – Yes Dennis, it’s good and down right delicious and my wife insists on large portions. At one time I threaten to buy smaller plates but her girlfriend told me it wouldn’t work, that she would just use two (2) plates instead of one (1)! I try my best at self-control, it sometimes is a losing battle but this is by far better for you than junk food and has fewer calories.

Don – I agree with you, too much water (rain) things just don’t get a chance to dry out before the next cloud burst. Our melons are doing fine for the time being but we expect to loose them, so we’ll see.

Thanks for your comments; you’re keeping me focused on my gardening in between raindrops. It’s raining here again today!!!

Boyd ;)

As the season continues the garden grows, especially with all the rain we have had. Matter of fact, it is raining here tonight, big down pour. There has been too much rain already for the regular tomatoes. They cannot ripen fast enough because of all the water. My wife says that she has never seen vines as large as the one’s we have. Our grape tomatoes on the other hand are doing just fine, we control the amount of water in pot. What you see in the pics is one evening’s collection from the garden, not every evening. The last picking of sweet peas have been separated from the string beans in the bucket and are in the process of being washed. Later, being dried for vacuum packing then freezing. The green peppers are coming on like there is no tomorrow. The squash have been a regular produce and have just about run their course. My wife cuts up the cucumbers and marinates them in vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper and onion and they are delicious when served as a side salad. Cucumbers are good for you and we have them often. We should be eating corn on the cob in a week or so.

So that is the latest as the garden grows.

Boyd ;) <O:p</O:p

PS Follow on to, Ref. "Rain Rain Come Another Day" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9677