PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason For Dust Collection

Don Abele
04-16-2009, 6:33 PM
This CNN video report gives just one more example of why we should not be inhaling all this tree dust we make. Never know if there's a seed hiding amongst it all. :p

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2009/04/16/phillips.tree.lung.cnn

(I posted this just because it's odd and weird and kinda relates to wood working - it was a tree afterall - nothing serious meant by it)

Be well,

Doc

John Fricke
04-16-2009, 6:50 PM
I'm sure the young tree host didn't see much humor in the situation.........But I found the reporters pruning comment rather comical.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-16-2009, 7:34 PM
A girl I knew got an olive pit lodged in her nose as a little kid. Later on they got it out when it sent out a shoot.

Randal Stevenson
04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
CNN, uses Flash, which isn't available for my 64 bit os (now old by the way).

What I was wondering, is what type of wood? Bloodwood?:rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
04-17-2009, 8:41 AM
Color me skeptical.....I didn't see any roots in the video and how would the needles have gotten green (chlorophyll) if they were inside the body where presumably it is pretty dark and photosynthesis could not have taken place. It looked more like a broken off twig from a mature tree.

Keith Domingue
04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I find that one hard to believe. I can see the idea of it sprouting, but I don't see how it would have advanced to the point of needles.

Chris Padilla
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Snopes anyone?! :D

Don Abele
04-17-2009, 6:40 PM
I actually check Snopes frequently to debunk many chain e-mails I receive. Didn't find this one there.

I do find it very odd...which is why I posted it...and amazed that CNN posted it before they "independantly verified" it.

The seed could have sprouted without light - seeds do this all the time. However, growing to that size without light just seems impractical since the plant needs the light to covert CO2 and H20 to carbohydates (for fuel) and oxygen.

However, there are plants that grow with no light...but none of them are green. White asparagus is one, and the yellow grass that grows under stuff left haphazardly on the lawn is another.

No light - No chlorophyll - No chlorophyll - No Green

Be well,

Doc