PDA

View Full Version : First pic post, my shop

Chris Rae
04-16-2009, 4:47 PM
I haven't posted any pics before, so I thought it was about time. So, here are some pics of my shop. Awhile back I bought a construction office trailer. We finally got it all ready to go and I've moved some stuff in. We will be building on to it doubling it's size, then all my stuff will be out there, but right now I have a shop room in the house and the trailer, so there are a couple pics of each.

The shop room in the house has my new lathe, grinder, bandsaw, drill press, work table etc. The trailer has tablesaw, planer, scrollsaw, old lathe, old grinder, work bench, routers and table, mitersaw, oscillating spindle sander, compressor, large belt and disc sander, etc. I'll be putting the tablesaw and planer on wheeled stands to easily move them to the middle of the room to use them. I still have some more things to do, but I'm happy with my progress.
Thanks for looking.
Chris

Don Carter
04-16-2009, 5:08 PM
Chris:
Great looking shop/shops! Everything looks very organized and clean? I am just not that familiar with either term...;)

How do you like that Nova 1624? I bought one last year and have been very pleased.

Good luck with the rest of the move.

Chris Rae
04-16-2009, 5:35 PM
Thanks Don. I love the Nova, it's a great lathe!
Chris

Ron Crosby
04-16-2009, 6:03 PM
Hi Chris,

What have you made with the lathe so far? And what system do you use to sharpen your chisels?
So many questions. lol
Ron

Michael Mills
04-16-2009, 7:05 PM
Great looking shop. I have a 1624 also but you are braver than I am. I have bounced about six turnings off the wall. Maybe you have a sheet or plywood you put over the window?...or are you just good that good? :)
Sorry, just had to bring that up.
Hope to see some pics of your turnings soon.
Mike

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-16-2009, 7:07 PM
Nice shop, Chris. I'm glad you left a little dirt around both lathes. That makes it more believable.

Bruce

alex carey
04-16-2009, 7:17 PM
I would have broken both windows and several other tools, that is scary stuff. Nice shop.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-16-2009, 9:52 PM
I though you said you were going to post pics of your SHOP. Those pics can't be a shop. Looks way too clean and neat. I couldn't possibly work under those conditions. You must have made a posting error.

Shop envy. VERY nice.

I would move the lathe away from the window though. The wife noted the dent I put in my her SUV with a flying bowl.....

Mark Norman
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks like you have done well with the space ya have.

I wont mention the window behind the lathe (oops I just did lol) But I did notice it, my first thought was it makes for good lighting...

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Chris great looking shop. Everything looks well organized. I had the same thought about the lathe by the window. I replaced one then moved the lathe. When a piece launches windows go pretty quick.

Chris Rae
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! Sorry about the neatness but I thought I should clean up a little for pictures. Believe me, it's not always that clean or organized. :rolleyes: I do have a piece of plywood I can put in the window for turning bigger stuff, but I really like the light, especially doing small things like ornaments. Although, most things I've launched have come at me :eek:, not away.

Ron, I sharpen with a homemade wolverine system.

I'll get some pics of projects posted in the near future.
Thanks again,
Chris

Burt Alcantara
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Chris,
Something to think about for the next upgrade. Since you are in a trailer, run ducting under the trailer for dust collection. That way you'll save on space and not bump into the ducts. The two most prolific dust generators are sanding at the lathe and any cuts on the table saw. The bandsaw is no slouch either when it comes to dust.

Especially important because of the small area. And don't just put an air filter in as that only picks up ambient dust.

Burt

Chris Rae
04-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Burt, I do plan on adding a dust collection system when we add on to the trailer, but I hadn't thought of running the ducts underneath, that's a great idea, thanks. Right now I rely on a couple large shop vacs for dust collection. I haven't finished getting things set up in the trailer yet but I set things up so each machine has a connection for the vac. I'd love to have a large dust collection system, but haven't had room for it.
Chris

Burt Alcantara
04-17-2009, 5:48 PM
Chris,
A large dust collector can be placed outside. Doing that eliminates the need for return filters. If you are concerned about noise, build a small room around it insulated with double sheets of wall board and simple insulation.

I have a ClearVue CV1400 indoors. Really "takes the starch" out of dust!

Burt

Chris Rae
04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks Burt, I appreciate the good information. It's helpful to have your input. You've brought up some things I haven't thought about.
Chris

Jim Kountz
04-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Chris, looks like a very nice tidy area that would be very welcoming to work in. Hows that Nova treating you??

Chris Rae
04-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks Jim, I like the Nova very, very much! It's a great lathe.