PDA

View Full Version : HF green exhaust fans

Dave Johnson29
04-16-2009, 1:23 PM
Hi All,

I just got a thing in the mail that Harbor Freight has the green exhaust blowers on sale only in the stores for 99-bucks.

This unit cannot be speed controlled as the red ones can.

Margaret Turco
04-16-2009, 1:31 PM
Dave, I use the green one and it has worked fine the last six months I've had it, and I got a little remote control for it at HF while I was there. It can hardly be heard outside, which is what I was going for in this residential area.

Frank Corker
04-16-2009, 4:09 PM
.... and I got a little remote control for it at HF while I was there.

I have one of those on mine, it's called a 'mains switch', works pretty well actually. To make it go on, I push the switch into the down position, and then to stop it, I flick the switch up. So far it hasn't failed on me, plus it really is a true workable substitute for the remote control ones. See picks below of this system in use!

Dave Russell Smith
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
I have one of those on mine, it's called a 'mains switch', works pretty well actually. To make it go on, I push the switch into the down position, and then to stop it, I flick the switch up. So far it hasn't failed on me, plus it really is a true workable substitute for the remote control ones. See picks below of this system in use!

Nice to see an English plug again after all these years ,reminds me of the green green grass of home :o

Dave Johnson29
04-17-2009, 10:22 AM
I have one of those on mine, it's called a 'mains switch', works pretty well actually.

Ahhh Frank, you are going to hate me... :)

Power outlets here do not have switches. The remote is required at the fan or the lead running to it. :cool::cool:

John Frazee
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I bought the green blower from HF also. I cut a hole through the back wall of our store/shop area and ran the cord and 4 inch piping outside. I plugged the cord into a extention cord I bought from Lowes. It's kinda weird, it has a place to plug something in on top of where you actually plug it in to a receptacle. It then has a cord about 10 foot long that has a rocker switch on the end. I mounted two of these on the side of my laser. One is for blower and the other exhaust. The only problem is it is too quiet. With it outside no one remembers all the time to turn it off after use and it pulls the heat/air out of the building. My store is about 3700 sq ft and it's not so cheap to heat/cool.

Dave Johnson29
04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
My store is about 3700 sq ft and it's not so cheap to heat/cool.

Hi John,

You might want to do the numbers and then consider in internal filtration unit. The $1K cost could soon be offset with the heating and cooling savings.

Here in AZ it is a bonus to have the exhaust pumping air out in Summer. :) in Winter I am a bit lazy about working in the garage so heating losses are not that critical.

That is the main reason I got the red fan from HF as I can control the speed. I have it just fast enough to waft the smoke away from the lens mount. I mostly run it at about 40%.

Brian Robison
04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I built a laser stand out of plywood and set up 4 plugs in the back with switches on the front. One switch for the laser, one for the vacuum blower, one for the air brush compressor. I also have a timer built in for the whole shebang but I've learned not to leave the laser anyhow so it doesn't get used. I have a 3 way switch that goes between manually using the switches to the timer. Gee sounds complex!
BTW, under the stand is shelving for material storage.

Dave Russell Smith
04-17-2009, 1:19 PM
Ahhh Frank, you are going to hate me... :)

Power outlets here do not have switches. The remote is required at the fan or the lead running to it. :cool::cool:

Not unless you wire a switch through the receptacles ;) to both the Exhaust fan and compressor, :)

Gary Hair
04-17-2009, 1:27 PM
Hi All,

I just got a thing in the mail that Harbor Freight has the green exhaust blowers on sale only in the stores for 99-bucks.

This unit cannot be speed controlled as the red ones can.

The unique thing about this type of fan is that they actually run better with restricted airflow. So, this means you don't really need speed control to reduce the air it draws, all you need to do is have a restrictor of some sort in the duct. I have a "Y" between my laser and my cnc router and blast gates for each one. I run them with the router fully open and the laser about 25% open and the fan actually runs faster when I have it on the laser at 25%. Go figure...

Gary

Dave Johnson29
04-17-2009, 2:15 PM
and the fan actually runs faster when I have it on the laser at 25%. Go figure...

Hi Gary,

Does it actually run faster or just make more noise? The impeller may be cavitating or shearing the air at the rotor tips with the restricted intake.

Gary Hair
04-18-2009, 2:08 AM
Hi Gary,

Does it actually run faster or just make more noise? The impeller may be cavitating or shearing the air at the rotor tips with the restricted intake.

It think it is running faster due to the lack of resistance from the reduced airflow. I doesn't make more noise, it actually sounds like it's not working so hard. Kind of hard to explain, but it is pretty obvious it has a different sound. I don't remember where I read it, but I read this "fact" somewhere...

Gary