PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Services - Mid-South Area

Paul Fitzgerald
04-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I didn't want to hijack Aaron's thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109913) about sharpening services near Dallas, so I started a new thread.

I'm interested in sharpening services in the Mid-South area. I only know of one fellow who picks up blades and bits at a local woodworking store, but I think the sharpening is done by hand. It sure would be nice if there were a sharpening service with an automated machine closer than 700 miles from me.

Thanks!

Alex Shanku
04-16-2009, 2:05 PM
I didn't want to hijack Aaron's thread (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109913) about sharpening services near Dallas, so I started a new thread.

I'm interested in sharpening services in the Mid-South area. I only know of one fellow who picks up blades and bits at a local woodworking store, but I think the sharpening is done by hand. It sure would be nice if there were a sharpening service with an automated machine closer than 700 miles from me.

Thanks!

Apparently there is a guy here in Cookeville that can sharpen. I dont know first hand and have a buddy who told me this. I havent checked it out, and send my knives to Jamison's in Virginia.

Al

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2009, 2:30 PM
I've looked here in Ft. Worth at 2 places...both only go to 320 grit at the finest. That seems pretty rough when the major players grind to 600 grit. Scott, can't remember his last name, here on the Creek, grinds to 600. He is in AZ, so not local. But I've heard good things about service and quality from several forums and I'm thinking about shipping to him. If you use the USPS bulk rate boxes, you can order them for free online, you can ship probably 5 blades or so for 11 bucks IIRC. Right now I only have 1 that needs it. The other one I have is too damaged to be worth repairing. Though I might have one of the local guys run it through just to use as a junk wood blade. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
04-16-2009, 9:30 PM
With a flat rate priority mail box from the post office, all sharpeners are local. Here ( central NC) we have two good sharpeners in town. Only problem is both on the other side of town. Two round trips of 40 miles each way to get blades done, equates to four hours of lost shop time, and no income. So I use Dynamic Saw (Dynamicsaw.com) in Buffalo NY. You can order flat rate boxes, or pick up several at the post office. Boxes are free, but the postage is almost $10. You can ship any amount of weight you can get into the box, with 2-3 day delivery. We usually put 6-10 blades in a box. 12" blades will fit into the larger box. As for costs, Dynamic is less than half of what Forrest charges, and their work is just as good, if not better. As an example, I knocked five teeth off a new WWII. It hit one of the staples that holds a SKU tag on. Forrest charged $62 to repair and sharpen blade, plus freight back. Sent another blade to Dynamic (not mine) with five teeth needing replacement. Cost was less than $30 for same services.

Mike Langford
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Give Bill Crawford a try.... http://www.crawfordsaw.com/index.htm he offers very flexible shipping terms to meet your needs.

I've never personally had him sharpen any of my blades (yet) since I'm a hobby shop and have just started using quality blades (Freud, Forrest Woodworkers II) here recently.

I've dealt with Bill in the past at places where I've worked, and Bill would make pick-ups and deliveries....and anyone (shops) who's ever used his services have had nothing but praise for his work (He's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet....very soft spoken and humble)