PDA

View Full Version : Strange Craigs List Responses...

Derek Arita
04-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I listed a machine on CL about a week ago. In the first hour I got an eager response from someone. I replied and got no reply back. I replied again a day later and still no response.
Yesterday I got another eager response from someone else. Again, I replied and got no response back. I went back and checked both respondents and noticed that we all use the same email provider. What are the chances of that? Is this weird, just coincidence or is something more sinister going on?:confused:

Larry Fox
04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
CL is rife with scams. Whenever I post I count on getting at least 2 or 3 scam messages and the first is a scam with >90% frequency in my case.

That said, a lot of people use a very few number of providers so they could both be legit.

Marlin Williams
04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
A lot of people will write to say they want it etc... but only do so that they are first in line and gives them time to see if its a good deal or not.

Mike Gager
04-16-2009, 12:13 PM
i listed a saw on my local topeka kansas CL and stated local pickup only and i get an email from a guy asking where i was located and that he was in jacksonville florida???

how would he even get to see my ad without actually going to the topeka site?

Vince Shriver
04-16-2009, 1:35 PM
i listed a saw on my local topeka kansas CL and stated local pickup only and i get an email from a guy asking where i was located and that he was in jacksonville florida???

how would he even get to see my ad without actually going to the topeka site?

You should have told him you were in Havana, and he'd be first in line for pickup.

Steve Glass
04-16-2009, 1:38 PM
There's a software program called CraigsPalFree that allows you to do global CL searches. Would explain how somebody from outside your area might find your ad.

Ron Bontz
04-16-2009, 3:22 PM
That would explain some of mine. I too have gotten a lot of scam e-mails from CL. I do have a question though. I got a call from a gentleman named Ed Jenkins wanting to buy my sander. He lives in Virginia. I asked how he saw my add. He said he saw it here on SMC. So how did he get my home phone #? Something I forgot to ask. He told me he would pay with paypal for the sander today, but would probably "have someone pick it up." Has any one heard of this guy? Said he builds grand father clocks and harps and comes on to this site wonce in a while. I can't find his name on here any where. Seemed legit but I haven't heard back from him yet and he was supposed to call at 10am. Mean while another guy close by wants to buy the sander. TODAY.

Joe Cunningham
04-16-2009, 3:26 PM
That is weird. I often scan CL and bought my first motorcycle that way, but have yet to get a response on tools. I figure they are all snatched up or my email gets caught by spam filters.

Rob Russell
04-16-2009, 3:50 PM
That would explain some of mine. I too have gotten a lot of scam e-mails from CL. I do have a question though. I got a call from a gentleman named Ed Jenkins wanting to buy my sander. He lives in Virginia. I asked how he saw my add. He said he saw it here on SMC. So how did he get my home phone #? Something I forgot to ask. He told me he would pay with paypal for the sander today, but would probably "have someone pick it up." Has any one heard of this guy? Said he builds grand father clocks and harps and comes on to this site wonce in a while. I can't find his name on here any where. Seemed legit but I haven't heard back from him yet and he was supposed to call at 10am. Mean while another guy close by wants to buy the sander. TODAY.

If it's the SMC member Ed Jenkins, he hasn't been on SMC since 2007.

Ellen Benkin
04-16-2009, 5:52 PM
I just sold some tools on CL and didn't get the scammers, but I did get the low ballers and those unable to read the description correctly. Since I really wanted to sell I had to control my sarcastic self and try to be civil. Gee, I'm asking $255 for a tool that retails for $350 (plus tax) and they want to know what my lowest price is? How about $255? How about you make an offer? Sometimes I think these people are very lonely and just want to get some email from someone.

Keith Domingue
04-16-2009, 6:14 PM
I have not sold anything, but I have had my share of purchase inquiries go unanswered. I just assumed they sold to somebody else. I like reviewing the free stuff. It is amazing how many people want you to provide free labor in the guise of free junk. That being said, I picked up a nice set of kitchen cabinet knobs that way. If I used my fire place, I would never have a shortage of free wood. A lot of oak and pine on the ground since Ike.

Greg Crawford
04-16-2009, 9:02 PM
Maybe the provider is putting you in their spam folders.

Stephen Edwards
04-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I just sold some tools on CL and didn't get the scammers, but I did get the low ballers and those unable to read the description correctly. Since I really wanted to sell I had to control my sarcastic self and try to be civil. Gee, I'm asking $255 for a tool that retails for $350 (plus tax) and they want to know what my lowest price is? How about $255? How about you make an offer? Sometimes I think these people are very lonely and just want to get some email from someone.

I know that's very annoying when people try to low ball you on an item that listed at a price that you consider to be fair. However, a lot of people, myself included, consider 1/2 the current retail price for a machine in excellent condition to be a starting point for negotiations. that's not to say that I won't pay more than 1/2 the current retail price....but it is a commonly used starting point by many woodworkers.

Recently I purchased a Grizzly DP from a CL listing. This machine was one year old but literally brand new. The guy assembled it and covered it with blankets for a year! If I had bought it new from Grizzly it would have cost $619 delivered. He was offering it for $250. I emailed him and told him I'll take it. To me, it would have been an insult to the guy to try to low ball him on a deal like that. When I went to pick up the DP I asked him if some people had tried to get him to come down on his price. He rolled his eyes and shook his head in disgust! He simply said: some people...............

Clint Schlosser
04-17-2009, 9:27 AM
You can also Use Google to do an entire domain search.

David Freed
04-17-2009, 7:54 PM

75% of new price seems a little high to me. I would expect people to offer less if I was asking that much. As Stephen said, 1/2 price is what most people expect.