PDA

View Full Version : A couple of pen blanks that I cast

Alan Trout
04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Here are a couple of pen blanks that I cast a week or so ago. They are both out of the same block from opposite ends. The material is Alumilite and a type of cactus. The finish is CA/BLO. I get five blanks out of each block cast. The other 3 were sold at our local pen club meeting.

Still working on my photos. My cheap little camera is giving me fits. Hopefully one of these days I will get a real camera.

Thanks,

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Beautiful pen - outstanding colors in your blank! I can see why these would be in big demand! Very nice work!

Chris Rae
04-16-2009, 1:22 PM
Those are awesome!! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2009, 1:24 PM
Beautiful Alan. Great looking pens.

Jarrod McGehee
04-16-2009, 2:56 PM
I like the colors on those blanks. really nice! and nice pens

Brian McInturff
04-16-2009, 7:03 PM
Hi Jim,
I got a blank similar to that a couple years ago from a guy over on IAP. No cactus in it but that pen with those colors has gotten more comments than just about any of them. And yours is much better looking than what mine was. So how do you like casting the Alumilite? Looks like you have it down pat!

Alan Trout
04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I really like casting its fun trying to figure out what something will look like before you cast it. Brian you might have got that blank from Eugene, he goes by El Mostro over on IAP. He is a good friend of mine. He was the one that showed me how to cast. He is a great guy and makes some neat stuff.

Thanks,

Alan

Billy Tallant
04-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Alan,

Great looking pens. Love that blank you cast. Wish you was a little closer & I would be trying to talk you into giving lessons on how you create blanks like that.

Jeff Nicol
04-17-2009, 7:23 AM
Alan, Your self made blanks are very nice! I like the colors and the mottled look and separation of the colors! I have bought some casting resin and other things, I want to get some pearlessance powder and then I will see if I can get somethning to come out as nice as yours!

Great work!

Jeff

Phil Hansen
04-21-2009, 9:21 AM
Nice colours and pens.
Any links on how to cast blanks and material suppliers?
Thanks

John Grabowski
04-21-2009, 2:29 PM
Nicely done...It looks like you are on your way.

Those will fetch a hefty price when you sell them.

John G

John Grabowski
04-21-2009, 2:33 PM
I guess I can add to this...Most of the stuff you NEED can be purchased at Michaels. I hear that some are using the TESTORS model paint as a way to color the PR. Also, the pearl ex can be purchased there.

On the IAP there is lots of info about casting and what you need. Also, you can watch some youtube videos by grub32 if you search that user name.

JG