PDA

View Full Version : Mounting A Router Beneath The Bench

Jerry Murray
04-16-2009, 10:04 AM
First of all I want to thank everyone for their advice in helping me get my work area set up.

I bought a Bosch router and it should arrive shortly. I have a butcher block table that I will use for my router.

Two things come to mind. First I want to mount the router beneath the bench and use it to "profile" my projects via templates. I have the bit coming in from Lee Valley.

So...HOW do I mount this? Is there a specific plate that would allow for a quick connect/disconnect?

What would you recommend?

Secondly is a side monted vise. HF has one which is about $60. Two rail for wood working. In the Lee Valley catalog theirs, which is as close to the HF is $130.

Any thoughts on this?

Jerry Murray
04-16-2009, 2:19 PM
I see that Lee Valley has a Veritas Router Table Insert Plate which looks pretty cool. It looks like it is adjusted through magnets.

Any experience with this set up? Sorry I'm at work and can't get to the Lee Valley site for a link.

glenn bradley
04-16-2009, 3:20 PM
I would just pick up a plate that is pre-drilled for your router and prepare a cutout for it. I modify or create my holes to accept my Woodpecker sized stuff. You can make your plate hole to fit your chosen maker. This will get your cutout done correctly:

http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/085/installing-a-router-plate.pdf

and many makers pre-drill for Bosch. I would go aluminum and avoid the possibility of having to buy again later. You don't specify what Bosch you ordered but if it is a fixed plunge kit, attach the fixed base and use the plunge for everything else. If it is a fixed base router and a plunge base is available, get that. If no plunge, get a second fixed base. Or just bend to the inevitable and buy an additional locomotive of a router for table use only '-)

Jerry Murray
04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I have given some thought to my situation...which is that I have to make something fairly compact.

My router came in yesterday. It's a Bosch 1617. Looks to be a nice unit.

I was thinking about possibly using a steel top from Lee Valley. This unit is 16 X24. and is advertised as the Veritas Router Table top System. Now I have a maple butcher block that was from a piece of furniture from my grandparents. The dimensions are 1 1/2" X 19 X 36" I really don't want to use this for a router top as there is some sentimantal value to it.

So can I use say some 1" mdf to the specs of the steel top and set this on my B&D Workmate? Would the workmate and the mdf be sturdy enough and have enough space beneath for the router?

If I could use this then that wouild give me the ability to break it down and store it when not in use.

What do you think?