PDA

View Full Version : Some of my work on YouTube

Stephen Beckham
04-16-2009, 7:39 AM
Well, I know it's not the first of the creekers to make youtube, but at least this video passes the TOS requirements to be family oriented - unusual for youtube...:eek:

Anyway, one of my longtime return customers had a local station do a story on his Dulcimers. Watching the video, you can see the sound holes I cut with the epilog.

Seems like the only bad thing is my buddy forgot my 'plug' for the sound holes - actually, what appears to have happened was they cut that part out of the story. They wanted him to look like a one man show with use of only hand tools and not admit to having a laser do the sound holes.

I know he felt bad, but it's all good - besides - these things are a bugger to align and cut. They're about 34" long and I've got the Mini 24.... Do the math... So I'm not sure I want a bunch of dulcimer makers finding out how cheap I cut these for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx30o5di2rA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx30o5di2rA)

Steve Clarkson
04-16-2009, 7:54 AM
Nice work.......I liked the eagle/bird graphic that you cut out.

OK, I'll bite.......how do you cut a 34" board on a Mini 24?

Mike Null
04-16-2009, 8:00 AM
One of my early customers was a local dulcimer maker. I made sound hole rosettes and engraved his logo on hundreds of dulcimers over the years.

He's no longer a customer as a hobbyist gave him a price about 1/4 of mine. I don't blame him for switching but I hope the hobbyist finds out how much he's making when he has to replace his tube or other parts.

nancy barry
04-16-2009, 8:27 AM
I always learn something new when I come to this forum. Thanks for another path to explore. Beautiful work .

what is ballpark for pricing ? set-up and time or ??
might you share what you charged?

thanks, nancyB

Mike Null
04-16-2009, 9:11 AM
That has been more than 3 years ago and I have my records stored away but I think the rosettes were about $3.50 to $4.00 each and the logo was $5.00 each. Used customers material in both cases.

Tim Bateson
04-16-2009, 9:29 AM
...I think the rosettes were about $3.50 to $4.00 each and the logo was $5.00 each. Used customers material in both cases.

And someone is doing this work for 1/4 of that??? Only for family and good friends will I work for free... and if your family is like mine, you pay for that too. :rolleyes:

Mike Null
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Tim

When the guy told me that I just shook my head and told him he had a good deal.

Frank Corker
04-16-2009, 4:26 PM
Well they look pretty interesting, never heard of one of those before now, thanks for enlightening me.

Stephen Beckham
04-16-2009, 4:44 PM
Steve - ancient chinese secret.... Honestly, it's a matter of alignment while sticking them out the front of the laser. We worked at it together over a few different patterns to get his desired designs within the angle of the dangle.... Now they come in pre-marked on underside for alignment. He's responsible for out of alignment mistakes as long as I hit his marks.

On charges - the first 20 we did was a late night adventure to include artwork and cutting alignment times for short turn around needs. I charged him $100 ($5 each). After I got the hang of it and realized it took about 36 seconds per side to cut, I dropped my price slightly (to about 1/4 of that :eek: just kidding).