PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Type 11?

Henk Marais
04-16-2009, 7:38 AM
This is a 5 1/2 plane that belonged to a friends farther. He asked me to revamp it for him.
My research on rexmill shows that it is a type 11, but maybe the gurus like Jim can confirm this for me.
It has a low knob, 3 Patent dates casted in the Bed

The Japaning is quite bad, but the sole, even thou rusted, has no pitting.

She will be a great user when she is cleaned and sharpened up!

Mike Brady
04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Looks like a nice plane for the age and type. Interesting to see how tools ended up 'round the world that long ago. What a great memento from an ancestor!

Jim Koepke
04-16-2009, 1:28 PM
Looks like type 11 to me. What logo is on the blade?

The logo does not matter so much as it could have been replaced, I am just wondering if it says made in U.S.A.

Stanley knew there was a world wide market for tools. That is why they felt them self being "The Tool Box To the World."

jim

Henk Marais
04-17-2009, 1:53 AM
Hi Jim

The stamp on the blade is more cosistant with the stamps on the type 9 (If compared to the rexmill photos) - Stanley - Pat APL 19.92

But she was definately made in the good old US of A.

He also has a # 4 from the same area that he wants me to revamp. It is in a even better condition except that the tote is cracked.

I will start the revamp of the 5 2/1 this weekend and will post pics of the progress on Monday.

Have a great weekend - it is Autum here but the wheather is absolutely Great at the moment (25degree C during the day)

regards,

Henk

Casey Gooding
04-17-2009, 7:22 AM
As far as I know, the type 11 is the only one with three patent dates.

Jim Koepke
04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
As far as I know, the type 11 is the only one with three patent dates.

Type 12s also had 3 patent dates cast into the base. Most people think of them more as a Sweet Hart series before thinking about patent dates.

Type 13 only has the 1910 date in the casting.

Types 1 and 2 may have had 6 patent dates. The early blades had the same stamp as the early chip breakers. Caveat, not sure here, some of the Bailey's patent stamps may have had two patent dates. This would make as many as 6 patent dates on some planes.

Types 3 and 4 have 3 patent dates. One on the chip breaker and two on the blade depth adjuster.

Type 5s had 5 patent dates. Two were stamped into the lateral adjuster.

Type 6s had 6 patent dates. Three were stamped on to the lateral adjuster, plus the one on the cap iron and the two in the brass adjuster. Not sure if there were any type 6s with the 1892 patent date on the blade with the old style depth adjuster. This was a time of change, it would not surprise me to find some that may have left the factory with 7 patent dates.

The type 9s actually have 3 patent dates. There is the 1892 patent date on the blade. Some of the lateral adjusters have the 1888 patent stamped into them to give a type 9 a total of 4 patent dates.

Of course, people will still think of "3 patent dates" as referring to mostly type 11s. But just to get some interest, if any of my planes are listed for sale on that big auction site, they may be listed as 6 patent dates. Just to get a few more curious eye balls looking.

jim

Henk Marais
04-24-2009, 3:06 AM
Here she is all cleaned up.

She makes paper thin shavings with the greatest of ease.

scott spencer
04-24-2009, 7:26 AM
Nice Henk! It does a heart good to see these old planes brought back into service.

Jim Koepke
04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Very nice work.

It is a pleasure to use such a nice looking tool. My experience is a fresh paint job on a plane does give it a better feel in use.

This almost inspires me to go out and shine up and refinish a few of my planes.

That would be way more work than needs to be tackled at the moment, so it will stay at almost.

jim