PDA

View Full Version : ULS Hookup

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-16-2009, 5:27 AM
The install manual for the USL VLS4.6 says you have to limit the length of the USB cable to 6'.

In my environment this is almost impossible. Since I cant use my main machine cause its 64-bit. My secondary machine is on the other side out of reach of the laser. Its about 9' away.

My only other option is to use a laptop which is starting to become a logistical nightmare.

Has anyone used a longer USB cable with succes to a ULS machine?

Mike Null
04-16-2009, 6:44 AM
I used one about 10-12 feet long for nearly 8 years with no problems. Just get one of good quality.

I'm now using a similar length cable on my Trotec with no problem.

Dan Hintz
04-16-2009, 7:10 AM
Michael,

I posted some info in one of the other threads about using separate computers, but since it's also pertinent here...

You probably don't want the controlling computer that far away from the laser. When you're running tests, you will be spending a LOT of time going back and forth from the laser to the computer and back again. Short jobs also require a lot of pacing, and you want to be near the system to make sure nothing catches on fire. You can use a longer cable, as Mike says, but you don't want to be to far away unless your doctor suggests a lot of exercise.

Pete Hunter
04-16-2009, 7:35 AM
I was in the same boat about a year ago. We were using a laptop next to the laser and moving files over to it with a USB drive. I tried using a longer USB cable and USB hubs with no luck. What ended up working for me is using a wireless print server. It took a little bit of work to get it set up correctly but I am very happy with the way it works now. If you decide to go this route and need specifics p.m. me and I can provide it. Also the one kicker trying to use a USB hub is the laser requires a dedicated port even with USB. If you unplug the cord and plug it into another USB port on the same pc it will not find it.

Mike Null
04-16-2009, 8:17 AM
Pete

Welcome to SMC. I see you're a fellow Misery-ian.

Dan

You make a good point but I have a partial wall seperating my pc (office) and the engraving room. It's about 5 steps but it helps filter the sound a bit though my system is quiet enough I can stand next to it and carry on a telephone conversation.

Dan Hintz
04-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Mike,

Once I become more comfortable with how jobs are running, I intend to set up a dividing wall with a large window to cut down on noise. Even if the wall is short enough that I can lean back in my chair to see the machine directly, it will drastically cut back on noise, as you've found out, but it won't severely impede my pacing ;) But I still suggest no separation for newbies.