PDA

View Full Version : Laser settings list

David Lampitok
04-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Has anyone have any tips on cutting leather? I tried my first piece and found that it curls as the heat builds up on it. Also is there a list of settings for materials from all the members various projects ? I have the Epilog manual that has a list but it seems I am cutting and wanting to work on an odd set of materials, Having an updated list would certainly save us all hours of trial and error

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Sharing settings may save some time, but there is a big difference in power between identical lasers. My 45 watt for example, uses less power and more speed than the book says on this 3rd tube than on the first two. The power of the tube can be more or less than the stated watts.

If you do want suggestions, best to give your machine model and wattage.

Bob Cole
04-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I have a 60watt laser and cutting leather was not clean. I would get through all but the last part and it would frey. I think the leather was about .25" thick although it is from memory so could be off a bit.

I did raster and it worked great. Leather does laser engrave very nice. I just haven't had time to go back to it.

Andrea Weissenseel
04-16-2009, 2:35 AM
Like Joe already sayed, without knowing your wattage its only guesswork.

But for instance, with my 40W Spirit, I cut leather with 95% P and 7.0% speed (this is real fine Lambleather) comes out perfect no curling whatsoever. Settings also depend on the thickness of the material.

Andrea

Bill Cunningham
04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
on my TT I can cut 1/8" leather at 100%power, and 20% speed, and freq of 200.. It cuts through cleanly (no edge rags), but the edges are pretty black .. I've never tried running the edges along a belt sander.. That may clean them up to a usable edge that won't turn your fingers black.
I just haven't found a use for cutting the leather with the laser yet..