PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get the CNC Shark Yet?

travis howe
04-15-2009, 7:43 PM
Took a good look at the shopbot buddy...you really can't get that much under $8k. Was wondering if anyone had a chance to work on the CNC Shark yet and if there was any feedback.

Other option would be Compucarve but I really don't want to speed more time fixing than working!

james mcgrew
04-17-2009, 6:34 AM
travis there are quite a few users of the shark on vectrics forum, all as i know it successful other than mach3 and vectric learning curves.

what do you wish to do with your machine?
jim

Brian Peters
04-17-2009, 6:51 AM
The shopbot is very affordable for what it is, as is the Cammaster as James will proudly stand by. Another option you might want to check out is http://www.joescnc.com where you could build a 4x4 machine for under $2k.

james mcgrew
04-17-2009, 7:07 AM
the one thing i do like to advocate is to get the largest machine that a) one can afford and b) one has the space for, there is a great following for joes machine and building one can really put one ahead of the learning curve. knowing what i know now my suggestion is to do some homework go see some machines find a local shop that has one and go stand in front of it, people who do cnc are generally very enthused about it and love showing it off, do not be intimidated by large machines they are still just little ones on steroids:) i saw a carvewright on tv while having lunch and purchased it within hours (i was a little bit more flush at the time) i do not regret it but ultimatly it woud not serve most of my needs, i still have it as i would feel bad selling it to someone and have it break down and the probility of that is still to high. so if any of you hard core carvewrighter's are interested have i got a deal for you!

jim

Kenneth Hertzog
04-17-2009, 7:07 AM
Travis

I'm begining to think I'm the only one on this forum that owns one.
What Jim said about the Mach3 program is true.

ken

james mcgrew
04-17-2009, 7:15 PM
thought this was cool!

jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8pNQ-5nvo4

Kendall Stokke
04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
ive had a carvewright for almost a year an really like it.

dont believe everything you hear about working on them all the time. if you keep them clean and lubed and dont have operater errors i think the machine will treat you well.

i have almost 180 hrs of carving time on my machine and have only had a couple of minor issues with mine.(a cover switch, a board censor and a qc that was my fault).

i know some people have been scared away by some people complaining about breakdowns but you dont hear much from the happy owners whichis really sad.

i think for a hobby cnc this is my choice

kendall

AL Ursich
04-18-2009, 1:10 PM
the one thing i do like to advocate is to get the largest machine that a) one can afford and b) one has the space for, there is a great following for joes machine and building one can really put one ahead of the learning curve. knowing what i know now my suggestion is to do some homework go see some machines find a local shop that has one and go stand in front of it, people who do cnc are generally very enthused about it and love showing it off, do not be intimidated by large machines they are still just little ones on steroids:) i saw a carvewright on tv while having lunch and purchased it within hours (i was a little bit more flush at the time) i do not regret it but ultimatly it woud not serve most of my needs, i still have it as i would feel bad selling it to someone and have it break down and the probility of that is still to high. so if any of you hard core carvewrighter's are interested have i got a deal for you!

jim

That would be ME... Mr. Hard Core CarveWright.... Digitalwoodshop on the CarveWright Forum.

I would be interested in your machine when cash flow picks up... for my 4th....

I am a Mr. Fix It when it comes to the machine.

And yes, someday I would love to have a Shop Bot.

The bulk of my Business is making Fire Department Stuff like Accountability Tags and Tag Clip Boards. I am working on a Vacuum Sled to use the CarveWright for cutting sheet stock into 1.5 x 3, 1.5 x 4 and 2.x 3 FRP Tags.

Plus I do signs with it and have a good market.

The machine is not for everyone.

My website and email are in my profile.

Thanks,

AL

james mcgrew
04-18-2009, 1:45 PM
well let me know!!

jim

Tony Dude
04-23-2009, 6:26 PM
I got the cnc shark pro this week. Been playing with it for a little bit. Will do more next week with it. It came with vcarve pro program and I ordered the photo vcarve too.