PDA

View Full Version : Help with ornament

doug parker
04-15-2009, 7:06 PM
Hi, I need some assistance and ideas. My wife and I are wanting to make pumpkin ornaments for a pumpkin festival we are involved with. We want it to be two pieces that interlock together with fretwork inside the pumpkin. I can easily draw the pumpkin but what is the best way to add fretwork to the design? Any ideas or examples would be great. We thought it would be neat to include the year and festival name in the design. Any ideas, feel free to jump in. Also we are new to corel, so please be patient.

Doug

Stephen Beckham
04-16-2009, 7:40 AM
Doug,

Please pardon my ignorance, "fretwork"????

doug parker
04-16-2009, 7:57 AM
My bad, I am speaking of the fancy scroll work designs within a main shape. I am not sure what you call it? Like I said we are new to this.Thanks Doug

Tim Bateson
04-16-2009, 9:02 AM
Doug, If you do a Google Search you can find fretwork patterns. They can be modified and adapted to most objects. Doily and snow flake patterns work very well too.

The only caution is when reducing a pattern to fit an object, the walls between cutouts can become very thin, making the piece brittle. When reducing a design, I'll sometimes remove elements to prevent this.

This can take a lot of time, but is well worth the final product and you can reuse the pattern.

Tim Bateson
04-16-2009, 9:23 AM
I found this site - impressive work on pumpkins. http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/radagist/radpumpkins.html

If you want to make your own, an easy way is to take most any picture - without background and convert it to Stamp Mode in a program such as Photoshop.

doug parker
04-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Tim, I think I came across this site a while back when we were carving pumpkins. I really got to get crackin on corel to learn how to drop a fretwork design on a pumpkin shape. Thanks for the input, Do you have any pics of your work? Thanks again Doug

Mike Null
04-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Doug

putting the fretwork design in the pumpkin is easy--select the art, then from the effects menu, powerclip then point to the pumpkin and it's done.

Stephen Beckham
04-16-2009, 4:32 PM
Doug - no need to apologize - I've been in this for three years plus and never heard the word fretwork used with pumpkins... My bad, not yours...