PDA

View Full Version : Piggy Banks

Earl Reid
07-31-2004, 12:37 PM
These are the latest piggy banks that I've made. They are made from Myrtle
, 2 have cherry sides , 1 has Yellowwood Sides and atachments.They are about 4 " long. Hope they show up OK
Earl

Gary Max
07-31-2004, 7:25 PM
I like them---do you have a hole in the bottom to empty them???--I know where the slot is.
Thanks

Jackie Outten
07-31-2004, 8:14 PM
Earl,

Those are absolutely the cutest piggy banks I have ever seen. Great job!!!

Jackie

Dennis Peacock
07-31-2004, 8:25 PM
Uh-Oh Earl.....

You went and done it now......You got Jackie to make a post and strong comment about your piggy banks..!!!! :eek: :p :D

Now....provide us some DETAILS about construction, slot for the money and how to get the money out. I may have to build a few of those for my kids. ;)

Gary Max
07-31-2004, 8:27 PM
Oh Dennis
How do you feed any animal???????
That one was easy

Carole Valentine
07-31-2004, 9:42 PM
Oh Dennis
How do you feed any animal???????
That one was easy
Well, when my pup ate her blanket the Vet said "What goes in usually comes out the other end." Am I to assume..????:D

Gary Max
07-31-2004, 10:09 PM
All I said was which end you feed ---The rest I will wait for the answer

Earl Reid
08-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the nice comments about my piggies.

I have made about 60 these banks duing the past 30 yrs. There is no plans. I make several sizes.sometimes I make the small ones from the cut outs of the larger ones.
These are the first ones with contrasting wood parts, I like the way they turned out. Most of the others were made of walnut and cherry.
I take a board about 2" thick , cut a slice off each side 3/16" thick, run all pcs threw sander , cut the inside out, Cut away all wood that dosen't look like a pig.Glue the sides on body, cut away the sides and do the final shaping with the ryobi recipicating sanderI cut the coin slot with the router. cut the
legs and ears from 3/16 " stock. the ears are concaved on the ryobi sander.
I put the ears,and legs on differently as I glue them up There is a metal plate on the bottom. I use deft as the finish and rub it down w/ 0000 dry steel wool.
Several years ago I sold a few of these at galleries in Chicago and Cook Forest in Pa.

Earl

Gary Max
08-01-2004, 5:18 AM
Earl Thanks for the info on the pigs. Would it be possible to get a pic of the bottom??
I would like to see the metal plate that you are useing for a trap door.
Thanks

Terry Quiram
08-01-2004, 7:14 AM
Earl

My wife had the same reaction as Jackie and I agree. Those banks are really cool, beats the ones I make with post office mail box doors.

Terry

Christopher Pine
08-01-2004, 7:25 AM
I was looking through some older woodworkers jpournal and this is similiar to a plan they have in there.. I was going to make some for christmas gifts this year maybe... these are a very nice bank! I like the contrasting woods!
Chris

Earl Reid
08-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, several things came up.

Chris, I started making this type of bank several years before the article in the W W J. I did mak a few from that article, no one seemed to like them so I went back to my original type.

Gary, I will post some more pics showing the bottoms,
Earl

Gary Max
08-03-2004, 2:32 AM
Thanks Earl
I guess I aint very smart.
I was sure the coin slot was the mouth----darn wrong again.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.
My wife is wanting to make a couple for Christmas gifts.
It's getting about that time again
Thanks Again