PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking stops Chicago to Milwaukee

Phil Thien
04-15-2009, 5:36 PM
I'm visiting Chicago and will be returning to Milwaukee tomorrow. I will have a little time for stops on the way back. Someone told me I should try Owl Hardwood Lumber in Des Plaines. Good idea? Any other recommended stops?

Eric Stefl
04-15-2009, 6:36 PM
How about KM Hardwoods? http://www.kmhardwoods.com/hardwood.php

Tom Hargrove
04-15-2009, 6:51 PM
Owl has a good selection of lumber and wood products in their showrooms. Their selection of hardwood trim and millwork is bigger than any retail place I have ever seen. All of their lumber is sold S2S. As a retailer, they have little competition in the Chicago area. At Christmas time, they were selling 4/4 Cherry for over $7.00 per BF. At those prices, the wood for a good sized knife block cost almost $50.00! IIRC, Red Oak was close to $5.00 per BF.

Several friends have told me that lumber stores in Wisconsin have signficantly better pricing, but its always nice to see what other stores have.

If you are traveling on I-294, the Des Plaines store, which is the largest of the three, is convenient.

Julian Nicks
04-15-2009, 7:11 PM
Owl is great....IF you like to overpay. I only deal with them when I need something I can't find from the semi-local bandsaw mill. I get everything for $2 a bf there.
Here's a list of small mills in Illinois that you might want to look into.
http://dnr.state.il.us/conservation/forestry/05/sawmills2005.pdf

Allen Tomaszek
04-15-2009, 8:39 PM
Phil,

When you get back to Milwaukee give me a shout.

Allen Tomaszek
www.milwaukeewoodworks.com
414-745-9656

Larry Edgerton
04-15-2009, 9:13 PM
There is a tool store not too far from Long Grove Ill, went there when I did a job in Long Grove, and they had all kind of tools of good quality, and fair prices. Now if someone that lives there can just tell you what it is called and what town it is in you'll be all set.

Didn't really help did I?

Bill McDermott
04-15-2009, 9:28 PM
Perhaps you were thinking about...

Wood Werks Supply, Inc. in Wauconda, IL

or

Berlands House of Tools in Palatine, IL

Both have fair pricing and compelling selections. Wood Werks more more focused on commercial woodworking machinery and Berlands has a most everything for most every trade.

Bon Voyage.

PS - I enjoy both Kettle Morrainne Hardwoods for rough sawn local hardwoods and Owl Hardwood for surfaced local and exotic hardwoods. The slabs on display in Owl's Des Plaines store are almost worth a trip in themselves.

Joe Scarfo
04-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Berlands House of Tools...

When I lived in Chicago, I got their catalog just to frame the cover. I absolutely love their logo!

Phil Thien
04-16-2009, 6:54 PM
Well I only got a shot at checking this once last night and not again this morning. But I did stop at Owl and also Kettle Moraine on the way back. I had never been to either, and was impressed by both. I did end up purchasing a little wenge at KMH.