PDA

View Full Version : DC Inlets for Lathe and Sander

Angie Orfanedes
04-15-2009, 5:16 PM
Here are some ideas on how to construct DC inlets for several machines.

For the 12 inch swing lathe and the 6x48 belt sander I made two 12 inch diameter discs of 3/4 plywood, and cut them in half. Then I used 12 inch lengths from a piece of 6 inch diameter snaplock duct (originally 24 inches long) and screwed that to the outside of pairs of the plywood semicircles. Through the wonders of math, an unrolled piece of 6 inch snaplock just about exactly fits the outside of a 12 inch semicircle. The 4 inch PVC comes through one of of the plywood ends to collect the chips and dust. So one piece of snaplock made both these inlets. Added a few more pieces of ply for baffles and here's how they look:

The DC inlet for the spindle sander is also made mostly from 3/4 ply. It is not as pretty, but it works well.

My table saw attachment is the traditional flex pipe to a connection that comes from underneath the saw. In addition, I have a floor sweep inlet, and I am still trying to figure out the best way to do the drill press - does anyone have any ideas to share on that one? I am thinking about making a drill press table and attaching the flex pipe through a hole in the fence.

My band saw is not in line with the other machines, so I will not attach that machine to the DC for now.

But everything else is connected to the Green Monster, which now looks like this:

The vertical PVC pipe exhausts to the outside world (just a little).

Allen Schmid
04-15-2009, 6:25 PM
Nice job Angie, and thanks for sharing with us. I am really interested in your dc unit and modifications (followed it on another thread you had sent).
Great work!
Allen