PDA

View Full Version : Bench Project

Greg McClurg
04-15-2009, 3:12 PM
This is my bench that I just finished. The inspiration came from a picture in Fine Woodworking of a bench built by Brandon Pierce. I needed a new bench and I thought this would give me a chance to learn some new techniques. The top is maple and myrtle, and the base is white oak that I stained using a water base dye...another learning experience.

I've never posted before so hopefully this will work.

Greg

Jerome Hanby
04-15-2009, 3:24 PM
What a great looking bench! I can see what you mean by getting to try new things building it. If it's as sturdy as it looks, you've got a great bench!

Michael Donahue
04-15-2009, 3:24 PM
Stunning!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Darrell Woolaver
04-15-2009, 3:41 PM
Nice!! Are those sliding dove tails on the ends? In either case, how did you cut them?

Greg McClurg
04-15-2009, 4:04 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Darrell, they are not sliding dovetails. The ends are just breadboard ends with handcut dovetails for the outside apron board. I had never done the dovetails so it took a lot of chopping with a chisel. I have new found respect for anyone that can do handcut dovetails.

Greg

Brian Kent
04-15-2009, 4:30 PM
The top is just great, and the base is even better. Using triangles instead of rectangles makes so much sense structurally. I bet the thing can't flex a bit.

Really fine work. The dovetails are a great learning experience.

Brian

John Olson
04-15-2009, 8:22 PM
I will agree with every one that that is good work. But now your wife knows your telent and will want a dinning room table that is just as spitacular.

Jeff Skory
04-15-2009, 9:46 PM
Fantastic looking bench!! I am currently reading Scwartz's book and trying to figure out what kind of bench I want to build for myself. Is your top as thick as it looks or do you have aprons on there?

John Keeton
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Greg, welcome to the creek! And, a memorable entrance I might add:D That is a wonderful piece of work, and you didn't spare any cost on the wood - nice maple! I would have a hard time working on that piece of furniture for fear of scarring it.

Greg McClurg
04-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks again for all the great comments.

Jeff - the top is about 2" thick with aprons that are 2 1/2" thick and 4 1/2" high. The thickness of the top really was determined by the lumber I had.

John - thanks for the greeting. I've read many of your threads and have seen your work. I wish I could come close to your abilities. Actually the top is mostly myrtle with maple aprons. In terms of cost I was fortunate that I really didn't have to spend much. I had some red oak I had obtained for about $1 a ft and traded some for the myrtle. The base is some white oak I picked up for about the same price. Living in SW Colorado it would have cost me a small fortune if I had had to pay retail for the lumber.

Greg

gary Zimmel
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek Greg!

Great job on the bench.
Extra points for the hand cut dovetails....

Dewey Torres
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Way to make a splash Greg!

The Creek awaits you.

That is the first cross legged bench I have ever seen. Stunning and I am sure SOLID!:)

Jim Kountz
04-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Really nice looking bench and I love the X-brace design, something different!! Nice job on the construction!!

Guy Germaine
04-16-2009, 6:25 AM
Beautiful piece of work. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the FLOOR that it's sitting on. That shop floor is nicer than the floors in my house!

Great Job all around!!

Todd Hoppe
04-16-2009, 7:26 AM
Is is heavy enough? :D

Greg Cole
04-16-2009, 9:25 AM
Nice bench!
Trading red oak for myrtle... now there's a stealth gloat.;)

Prashun Patel
04-16-2009, 9:32 AM
Gorgeous. Now I know how to make oak look like walnut!
Really nice design.

"Learn new techniques", huh? Looks like you've been doing it for yrs...

John Thompson
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Excellent bench. The bad news about the X is a little harder to add a shelf if desired... the good news is all the toe space you achieved. I hate banging my toes on a bench base and over-lap the top about 3" on each side to avoid it. Many like the legs even with the top.. I am just not one of those as my toes "need their own space". :)

The X got the toe space with no loss of structure. Nice job on the bench and if that was your first time with hand cut through DT's.. you did an excellent job and should pursue the practice IMO.

Sarge..

Bruce Page
04-16-2009, 2:43 PM
Beautiful job!

Love the shop floor too!

Welcome to SMC

C Scott McDonald
04-17-2009, 3:06 PM
Wow, cool. How did you attach the top to the legs?

Thanks,
Scott

Greg McClurg
04-17-2009, 5:11 PM
Scott, I screwed a block into the top of each leg then into the bottom of the benchtop. This really is just to keep the top from lifting off if I were to lift up on the top. Otherwise the legs fit snuggly between the aprons so there isn't any movement.

A couple have commented on the floor. There is a flooring manufacturer in a town a short distance from where I live and once a year the have a sale on miscellaneous items. The flooring is hickory and what they call "shorts". Nothing was longer than 18", but was relatively inexpensive. I thought a wood floor would be nicer than standing on concrete and much easier on those dropped chisels. I laid down some sleepers and put rigid foam between them to provide some insulation then a layer of OSB. Works great.