PDA

View Full Version : Thin Material For Guitar Picks

Robert Wilson
04-15-2009, 1:42 PM
Hi All,
Looking for a supplier of thin plastics to make guitar picks from. I would think you would be able to do these in Delrin, Acetal or celluloid sheeting. I have not been able to find anything under 1/8" thickness. In exploring sites that sell picks it looks like the sizes range from .38 mm to 1.22 mm which if I calculated correctly would be in the 1/32 of an inch range. I would greatly appreciate insight on where to get thinner materials particularly patterned or colored.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Dennis Brooker
04-15-2009, 3:47 PM
Bob - Not trying to put a damper on things but I used to use a trade secret process I developed to produce guitar picks because I could not find what you are looking for - I hope someone else will be able to help you but to the best of my knowledge and experience I doubt it :( - Best of luck - FYI, I've been playing guitar for over 35 years - Dennis Brooker

Mike Gager
04-15-2009, 3:57 PM
try sourcing the plastic they use to make credit cards. might be some options there

Rodne Gold
04-15-2009, 4:05 PM
PETG will work - you can get it in lots of thicknesses and its dirt cheap. Doesnt engrave well.

Dan Hintz
04-15-2009, 4:11 PM
Shred some colored pellets of your favorite plastic, mix some colors together and heat them on a skillet... makes some cool patterns and you can cook them to the thickness you want by pouring a pre-determined amount of shavings into a pan of known dimensions. Viola! Your own cast sheets :)

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2009, 4:12 PM
The Rowmark ADA Alternative material comes in 1/32".

kevin leasure
04-15-2009, 6:53 PM
Hey Robert, I do quite a few of these things, very popular item for me. Check out the Plastic Shim stock in some different machinist supply like MSC, and McMaster. Be cautious on the materials you choose though cant remember off the top of my head but one is a laser no no. anyways just jump on their site and order whatever thickness you want, from .002 on up, usually color coded too.

Martin Boekers
04-15-2009, 7:04 PM
Showing my age,

The plastic cards Steak N Shake car hops used to put under windshields while you waited for your food was perfect for guitar picks!:D

Marty

Martin Boekers
04-15-2009, 7:05 PM
Actually the ones that are my favorite are made from nylon.

Marty

Mike Null
04-15-2009, 8:30 PM
I would cut them out of exotic hardwoods, sand and finish them.

Anthony Javier
04-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Hello Robert,
Contact me about the plastics, I may be able to help. I run a little shop called TAP Plastics.:)

Dan Hintz
04-16-2009, 6:48 AM
I run a little shop called TAP Plastics.:)
Aware of TAP, now I would just like for you to define "run" (where's the "you lucky dog" smily...)

Steve Clarkson
04-16-2009, 7:27 AM
Hello Robert,
Contact me about the plastics, I may be able to help. I run a little shop called TAP Plastics.:)

You have a very catchy jingle..........

Jim Kountz
04-16-2009, 8:28 AM
Get some tortoise shell, makes the best picks. Illegal? Well only if you get caught but you would be surprised how many people use them. Doesnt make it anymore legal though I guess!! Dont know how they would be to engrave.

Alexa Ristow
04-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi

I see that Rodney has suggested using PETG, just a quick question regarding this, does anyone know if you can do sublimation printing on PETG? This would be a good combination of material and technology if it did work.

Thanks
Alexa

jim carter
04-16-2009, 2:18 PM
go to ebay and look under wood guitar pics. some very nice ones. i would go with wood.