PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a landline phone with good speaker?

Brian Elfert
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Can anyone recommend a regular corded phone with a decent speaker? I would like to keep this under $100. Yes, even in the age of cell phones I have a land line.

I've had a hum on my phone for a long time and I thought it was my VOIP. AT&T even replaced my telephone adapter. It turns out my speakerphone was causing the hum.

I've burned up a lot of extra cell phone minutes because of the hum on my phone. It was really almost unusable.

Narayan Nayar
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
I work for an international company and I'm on conference calls _all_ the time.

I have to say--I've been real happy with the last two generations of Uniden wireless handsets. The speakerphones are much better than anything else I've used that was wired (except for the polycom units at the office).

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-15-2009, 7:12 PM
I like Panasonic's 6.0 model KX-TG9341T
I have a HUGE old home with lots of rock and oak for walls and it's the only one I've found that can run the satellite phone from all the way over where my office is.
It's got a good speaker function on the hand units as well as the base unit.
Cheap too.

Brian Elfert
04-15-2009, 8:31 PM
Any suggestions for a phone that has a cord and is not cordless?

I have bad luck with cordless phones in the past. I forget to charge them for long periods and then the batteries go bad. Leaving them in the cradle is not always good for the batteries either. Maybe somebody is doing lithium-ion batteries now, but I still don't like cordless really.

Darius Ferlas
04-15-2009, 9:32 PM
I also use a Uniden wireless system, expandable to 10. I have 6 and everything, including speakerphone functionality, work great.

RadioShack carries both similar systems with their logo, but they are in fact made by Uniden and usually less expensive. A friend has the RadioShack version and the quality is equally good.

I would recommend 5.8GHz systems to avoid interference with other devices, such as wireless routers at home.

Neal Clayton
04-15-2009, 11:37 PM
i went through this when i bought my current house as well. thick walls with thick plaster on old wooden lath, and lots of lead paint, not exactly the best material for phone reception.

i also wound up with a uniden set that worked ok, til it died. afterwards went to an ATT set that has worked well since.

the 5.8ghz systems i tried had horrid range. the new DECT phones were better for me, lower frequency so they travel a bit further.

Mark Norman
04-15-2009, 11:56 PM
for when the power goes out and the cordless goes dead, Slimline for about $20 and works great!

Curt Harms
04-16-2009, 3:38 AM
Both base speakerphone and handset speakerphone functions work well. We did replace the original batteries in all the handsets and so far so good on the replacement batteries. Re the issue with WiFi and 2.4 Ghz phones (which I'm not sure you can buy anymore) I set the router to use channel 1 or channel 12 instead of the default channel 6. I'm not aware of any interference problems with either WiFi or voice.

One useful feature for us is 2 line cordless handsets. We have VoIP and a POTS line. We have the VoIP adapter plugged into line 2 on the cordless base set so have both services available on all sets. Why POTS & VoIP? Lack of confidence in the reliability of Verizon's broadband service (not justified, it's had excellent uptime) and inertia, I guess:o.

Matt Meiser
04-16-2009, 1:57 PM
I know you want corded but my Uniden 5.8 ghz system I use on my office line has pretty good spreakerphone capabilities. But unless I'm on an all-day call I use a corded headset plugged into one of the handsets.

John Fricke
04-16-2009, 6:29 PM
Have you considered adding a corded headset to your phone?http://headsetplus.com/category6_7/index.html?gclid=CKTvkOuY9pkCFQ_yDAodjggpRg

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-16-2009, 7:30 PM
Any suggestions for a phone that has a cord and is not cordless?

You mean like the Princess? or the dial phone?

I have an old rotary dial phone but It's in a drawer somewhere and not connected - ya know just in case I need a home defense weapon and the shotgun jams.

I didn't even know they made those things any more.
But, it would appear they do:
http://telephones.att.com/telephones_ui/phone_store/dsp_products_list.cfm?parent=22485

Brian Elfert
04-16-2009, 10:12 PM
You mean like the Princess? or the dial phone?

I have an old rotary dial phone but It's in a drawer somewhere and not connected - ya know just in case I need a home defense weapon and the shotgun jams.

I have a couple of old Western Electric phones out in the garage, but I'm looking for something a bit more modern.

I mostly use a speakerphone for waiting on hold or listening to voicemail, but I do use it for work on occasion.