PDA

View Full Version : Router Fence Mounted on Biesemeyer Rails?

Steve H Graham
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Someone gave me an idea about my router fence issue, and I wanted to mention it.

My router is in my table saw extension, about six or seven feet from the table saw blade. The rails on my commercial Biesemeyer system extend to the router. Someone suggesed using my Biesemeyer fence as a router fence. Obviously, that won't work, because the Biesemeyer fence has no cavity in it. BUT it's such an obvious and intelligent idea otherwise, I assume someone has to have come up with a way.

I have been Googling for a premade attachment or fixture that will attach to the Biesemeyer rails, but I haven't found anything. Does such a thing exist? Maybe I should build something that clamps to the fence.

Joe Scharle
04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Never appealed to me because of the number of times I've profiled an edge on the R/T and ripped it off on the T/S. Repeat. Didn't want to lose either setup.

Jeff Rowley
04-15-2009, 2:08 PM
I just did something similar to my saw/router. I had an Incra Ultralite router fence mounted onto the table saw table for use with the router insert. Seemed like the incra was always in the way and if you took it off/put it back on, you spent some time making sure everything was straight again, etc.

I took the fence portion of the Incra and using a simple block and some screws mounted it directly to the backside of my fence. Now it's tablesaw on the left, router on the right. I added the Wixey table saw DRO so that I can easily zero it in ABS mode to the saw blade, but can zero it in INC mode when using it at the router. Need to go back to the table saw? just switch back to ABS and you're all set. Maybe not quite as dead on as the meshing teeth of the incra, but the .005" of the Wixey is close enough for what I do.

Steve H Graham
04-15-2009, 2:09 PM
I was thinking I might look for a used Biesemeyer fence and cut some holes in it for a router.

Eric McMillan
04-15-2009, 2:09 PM
I made one of these for my Incra TS fence and its works great. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the concept.

http://woodshopdemos.com/ss-p4-1.htm

Bruce Page
04-15-2009, 2:21 PM
I use a Woodhaven router fence that clamps onto the Bies. Works great.

edit: Steve, here's a pic of my woodhaven fence. I just clamp it to the Bies with two Quick Clamps. It takes about 20 seconds.

Craig Coney
04-15-2009, 3:01 PM
I have a Jet Xacta fence that I took off the UMWH faces( damaged) and mounted a router fence to it with a cavity with replaceable inserts. I also added a second Wixey digital readout to it. Works great.

I have seen these on auction sites reasonably priced.

Vince Shriver
04-15-2009, 3:12 PM
Just a thought. Some very ingenious gent here put a couple "Magswitch" magnets in removable (or at least moveable) a router fence. If lining up the router fence parallel to the miter slots on the saw table is what you're after, seems you could do the same thing, and simply hold your router fence against the Biesemeyer until you got it where you want it, lock down the magnets and move the Biesemeyer back out of the way.

Steve H Graham
04-15-2009, 6:03 PM
Sadly, the router bit is like five feet from the end of the cast iron.

Vince Shriver
04-15-2009, 6:17 PM
Sadly, the router bit is like five feet from the end of the cast iron.

In the words of Rosanna Rosanna Danna: "Never mind".

keith ouellette
04-15-2009, 6:40 PM
I am building something for my exacta fence now. If I ever get back out to the shop I could finish.

I built a hollow square tube, 5"x5", with an opening in the center for the bit. The opening has tongue's on each side to except inserts with various openings for different bits or to be cut for zero clearence inserts. I made about 15 of them to make different inserts as I need them.

Inside the fence are two wooden braces that go front to back (made out of glued up plywood so there would be little expansion/contraction) that were glued in place. I then made two mortices on the face of the fence and epoxied a washer in each one. then drilled through the braces and out the back. These are for bolts that will go through to the fence to hold the router fence to the ts fence. The mortices are big enough for a socket with a t handle to fit in. If I must use the ts fence to make a cut and I don't want to mover the router fence I simply clamp the router fence down and un bolt it from the ts fence.

Thats the plan anyway. Its practically finished.

I would show you pictures of the fence but I have been uploading these damn pictures for 10 minutes now and they aren't done yet. They aren't even that big. maybe later.

Craig Coney
04-15-2009, 7:54 PM
Here's a photo of my router fence

Steve H Graham
04-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Beautiful, Craig. That's what I should do.