PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Deciding Box Lid

Ed Sallee
04-15-2009, 9:27 AM
I'm working on this box.... and have a couple options for the lid just seeing what ya'll think.... I have the rest of the day to decide..... probably glue it up tonight....

I never made a poll in here.... not sure how, but I tried on this post.... we'll see if a poll comes up.

If you had the option.... which one would you choose? Keep in mind the lid and the box are going to be bevelled....

More Spalt...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%206/DSC07928.jpg

Interesting Ring Pattern

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%206/DSC07917.jpg

John Keeton
04-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Ed, I think clearly the box demands more darkness in the lid - thus the lid with more spalting. And, I have cast my vote accordingly.

John Thompson
04-15-2009, 11:23 AM
See... I told you so. Now.. if only John K. replies obviously I was right all along.. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Your neighbor down the road...

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I may be off base totally..... but, I did not have enough cocobolo to make it the whole way...... so.... testing some things...

gary Zimmel
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
One more vote for the darker Ed.

John Olson
04-15-2009, 8:28 PM
I must have no taste I like the ring pattern.

Craig T. Smith
04-16-2009, 4:36 AM
Ed, I also like the ring pattern. I think the one large centered ring draws the eye to the lid and the lighter color looks brighter. However this should be an outstanding box. Craig

Jack Camillo
04-16-2009, 4:50 AM
Both work equally as well - I don't think either is "better." Flip a coin.

Ed Sallee
04-16-2009, 7:26 AM
Thanks for all the input guys..... I didn't get to it last night.... I had a tree laying in my driveway with the house power and cable lines lying underneath..... So, I had a whole different scope of woodworking to do last night.

I'm hoping to glue 'er up tonight and maybe even get the bevels cut....

I'll drop the pics in here when she's done.... :)

Dewey Torres
04-16-2009, 9:12 AM
Thanks for all the input guys..... I didn't get to it last night.... I had a tree laying in my driveway with the house power and cable lines lying underneath..... So, I had a whole different scope of woodworking to do last night.

I'm hoping to glue 'er up tonight and maybe even get the bevels cut....

I'll drop the pics in here when she's done.... :)

Quick ...call the turners over to help you clean up!

joseph j shields
04-17-2009, 4:29 PM
Ed,

My $.02 .... I like the first lid....

The light brown/tan color in the spaulting picks-up the highlight in the box (cocobolo ??)

It brings the whole thing together...

-jj

ps nice work!!!!

John Keeton
04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Ed,

My $.02 .... I like the first lid....

The light brown/tan color in the spaulting picks-up the highlight in the box (cocobolo ??)

It brings the whole thing together...

-jj

ps nice work!!!!Now there is a man with a good eye and taste to match - well said!

Gary Breckenridge
04-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I like the first one; the look is more natural. On lid #2 trying to center an organic shape in a geometric form bothers me.:cool:

Ryan Sparreboom
04-18-2009, 6:30 AM
The first one for sure. Don't like lid #2 at all.
JMHO

Ryan

Ed Sallee
04-18-2009, 7:41 AM
Well.... First of all, thanks for all the input and I have to say that I agree with the majority on this one. I should have left that ringed piece inside the board and forgot about it....

But..... I went against my better judgement and asked the customer which one she liked..... with a rather baited question to try to draw her in to the spalted piece.

Needless to say - she picked the ringed pattern.... I think I just learned a very important lesson - DON'T ASK THE CLIENT FOR ANY INPUT ONCE YOU GET ROLLING..... Unsolicited input is OK because it usually happens after you've done something.... but..... (I should have kept my mouth shut)..... It looks OK...but not as good as it could look. IMO

So.... here is what she picked....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/2009%20Project%206/DSC07958.jpg

Craig T. Smith
04-18-2009, 8:07 AM
Ed, I still like it. I'd like to see a few pics when it's finished. Craig

Tom Sontag
04-23-2009, 12:35 AM
There's nothing wrong getting input from your client if you are really truly trying to make something to please HER.

Spalting and ambrosia stains are acquired tastes; lots of people don't get the appeal. Woodworkers probably like it more than the average woman on the street.