PDA

View Full Version : Very Green Blank

Ron Hardy
04-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Easter Sunday Wife and I were at her brothers for dinner. He was telling me that he had a Walnut tree come down in a storm this past winter and thought I may be able to do something with it. I am very new to this vortex and have had a New Mustard for about a month now. we walked back to his timber and there was a Walnut log laying on the ground approx 15 ft long no branches. about 10 " diameter He took his saw and cut me a blannk and I took both halves home. This morning I rough turned the better one and it is now sitting in DNA. The other blank I put on the lathe and started it but there was so much bark and it went in so far that I was getting a pucker factor so I decided to do something else with it. I cut the bark off and got down to the solid wood and I now have a piece thats apprx 6" long by 4.25 X 3.25. I have sealed both ends and now my question is what else should I do to this to try and preserve it for a future use?
Turning that first very green blank was a joy. Also Sorry if I got long winded. I'm learning a lot with each bowl I try and turn.
He also showed me some Cherry logs and 3-4 box elder trees that he will be cutting sometime.
Thanks for the help
Ron

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Ron - congrats on the wood! On the smaller piece of walnut - you want to slow down the moisture loss as much as possible. You have it sealed but I would also place it in a paper bag - just as an extra precaution. Sounds like it might be a good size for a hollow form!

When you get the chance to pick up some more of your BIL's wood - grab all you can as all of the woods you listed are top choices for turning!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!