PDA

View Full Version : Bench Completion - With pics

Jim Eller
04-14-2009, 9:13 PM
Well, after much research, contemplation, worry and countless hours, the thing is usable. This thing started back in January when I purchased the material. I started cutting and gluing the top in February. I still need to add a shelve and/or drawers.

The top is ash, the base is southern pine with oak on the front surfaces for wear. The dark dots are walnut dowels used for adding strength to the laminations and for pinning the stretchers.

Dog holes may look far apart. They are 10" and the vise has a 15" reach. I figured I can always make more if needed. The twin screws are 26" on center and the chop is 34". Screws and vise from LV.

The top is removable it the need to move it should arise. It sets on UHMW 1/2" pads so I can slide it around as needed.

Size 25"x96". It is 38" high. This may seem too high for some, but I'm 65, don't like bending over that much, don't do much hand tool work and it can be shortened if need be. Total weight - 355 pounds.

I really need to thank everyone on this forum that helped with this project by answering all of my questions. It is really appreciated.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about successes and failures along the way.

Thanks again for your help,
Jim

Don Morris
04-14-2009, 9:20 PM
Beautiful job Jim, shelves and drawers will just make that more functional and look awesome.

Charles Shenk
04-14-2009, 9:25 PM
Beautiful bench! What kind of vise did you use? The blue one. Looks like a Record but I don't see any lettering. :D

Jim Eller
04-14-2009, 9:31 PM
Thanks guys.

Charles - It's the large one (C) here, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49980&cat=1,41659

The quick release works great. It says two turns but it releases in one or less, depending on where the locking devise is when it is clamped.

Jim

joe Katzenberger
04-14-2009, 9:34 PM
you are way ahead of me and we started about he same time..Oh well.
I am curious how you constructed the end caps to keep them aligned. Did you use a continuous tenon or another techique? Did you use a lag screws or bench bolts to secure the caps?
Thanks for the info.
joe Katenberger

Ron Bontz
04-14-2009, 9:39 PM
Very nice. I like what you did with the vises.:)

Scot Ferraro
04-14-2009, 9:56 PM
Very, very nice bench and one you will use for years to come. I have two questions -- 1. How did you secure the top to the base (Lag bolts or dowels)? 2. How did you secure the front vice -- did you lag-bolt the wood where the twin screw nuts fit in or glue or nail this part?

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Scot

Greg Cuetara
04-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Great looking bench. I need to start thinking of building one.

Did you use any plans or just build what you want from pictures?

Greg

Bruce Page
04-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Beautiful bench Jim.

John Schreiber
04-15-2009, 12:51 AM
The Creek has a bumper crop of workbenches today. Yours looks great.

George Sanders
04-15-2009, 6:33 AM
Beautiful work.

Dewey Torres
04-15-2009, 6:41 AM
Mighty fine and sturdy bench! May it serve you well.

Bob Genovesi
04-15-2009, 7:34 AM
Jim,

The bench you made is absolutely gorgeous! I'm super impressed with the construction and attention to detail. The vises are top notch and it will last a lifetime and then some. :)

You don't really plan to use something this nice do you? :eek:

Dave Mura
04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Looks very solid, good job!

Irwin Fletcher
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
First off, that's a good looking bench!

Secondly, I have a question for those more knowledgeable than myself...

I like your idea of laminating the oak onto the pine, but I would think that the two woods would expand and contract differently, possibly leading to splits, no?

John Thompson
04-15-2009, 11:51 AM
You did an excellent job on that bench. I personally don't think the lamination of SYP and the oak is going to be problem as both expand about the same really from what I have seen over the years.

Sarge..

Jim Eller
04-15-2009, 6:16 PM
Thanks guys. The helpful information on this forum is the reason I built it.

joe K - The end caps are lag bolted to the top. The holes are over sized a little in case of wood movement. See attached pic.

Scot F - 1. The top is lag screwed to the leg and top. Again, holes are over sized for possible wood movement. See pic.

2. The wood for the twin screws is through bolted to the top with 3/8" bolts. Four on the long side and three on the short side. See pic.

Greg C - No real plan for this bench. I did a lot of searching on this site and others for information and pics. I purchased the Autumn 2007 issue of Woodworking Magazine and read Chris Schwarz's take on "Traditional Workbench Rediscovered". I took all of this into consideration and applied it to what kind of woodworking I did. I then began asking questions on this forum and the formites were extremely helpful.

If you have any other questions or comments, fire away.

Jim

Chris Tsutsui
04-15-2009, 7:15 PM
That's quite a piece of work that looks like it will last a long time.

How do you plane the top of the bench flat?

Jim Eller
04-15-2009, 8:36 PM
That's quite a piece of work that looks like it will last a long time.

How do you plane the top of the bench flat?

Chris,

I tried sanding with belt sander but my luck with a belt sander hadn't changed. I always get a rippled surface no matter what strokes I use or how fast I move the sander.

I thought about the router and sled method, but, decided against it.

As mentioned before, I'm not a hand tool guy so hand planes were out and it wouldn't fit in my 20" PM once I glued it up.

Then I called a machine repair guy I knew and asked him if he knew of any cabinet shops in the area that had a wide industrial belt sander. He gave me a name, two of us loaded the top in the back of my pickup and an hour and $15 later it was smooth on both sides.

It was money and time well spent.

Jim

Keith Domingue
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Good looking bench. Very nice job!