PDA

View Full Version : Shaper upgrade progress pics

James Biddle
04-14-2009, 8:34 PM
I've been upgrading my shaper and thought I'd post progress pics.
Here's a shot of the outboard fence I added on using 8020.net aluminum extrusions. There's a linear bearing that I'm using a plate as a backup.
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/shaper1.jpg
Here, I put the new feeder roller wheels on. Also, I replaced the standard fence with another homemade fence using 8020.net stuff and other hardware. The blue rail is spring loaded to keep the stock up against the outboard fence. The whole fence is easily removed and replaced with the standard fence for normal operations. Also, I had one of our local members fab up two inserts for the shaper to keep from having a large hole when using different cutters. I'm really happy with these upgrades, but I have a few more to go. There is an extra DC port in the back of the table casting I want to hook up to the DC and I want to add extensions for longer parts.
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/shaperinsert2.jpg

Brian Peters
04-14-2009, 9:49 PM
Is this an auxiliary fence to climb cut? What would you use it for as apposed to just running it against the normal fence with a feeder? Those extrusions look slick, I love 8020. Nice cutter set, freeborn makes the best stuff!

Jay Brewer
04-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Nice looking setup James, definatly well done. Have you come up with a way to repeat the settings without measuring. I used small flip stops on mine to reference the fence.

Brian, a pressure fence helps with shorter pieces, even with the feeder tilted towards the auxillary fence, short peices can still wiggle enough to mess up the cut, hope this helps

Chip Lindley
04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Brian, an outboard fence setup is much to be desired over running stock against the split fence. With the stock held firmly against the outboard, an even width is insured, such as in profiling door rail/stile stock.

Much easier than trying to adjust a split fence and get an exact width on all pieces, PLUS the chance that the slightest bobble may put a *divot* in the profile. Climb-cutting could be done with James' outboard setup since he has that power feeder at the ready!!

Ron Bontz
04-15-2009, 12:18 AM
:cool:Nice idea for the out board fence. I copied that one. Of course I may never get around to making it. Live and learn.:)

J.R. Rutter
04-15-2009, 1:35 AM
Nice job! I like the pressure plates.

Chris Hall
04-28-2009, 9:05 PM
Do you run the wheels on the powerfeeder flat to the table top? Or, canted into or away from the fence?

David DeCristoforo
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Well that is a bit slicker than my usual clamped on chunk of MDF...

J.R: When you use an "outboard" fence the feeder has to be angled into it in the direction of feed just like you would if you were using the split fence. With a setup like this, the "stock" split fence serves no purpose other than to shroud the cutter and provide a dust port. NEVER ATTEMPT A SETUP LIKE THIS WITHOUT A STOCK FEEDER!!!!!!! At least not if you value your life....