PDA

View Full Version : Odd-ball lathe parts

Casey Gooding
04-14-2009, 8:26 PM
I'm pretty new to turning, though I've worked with wood for years. I picked up an old lathe off Craigslist this weekend and it has some really oddball parts on it. The headstock is a 5/8" 16 thread with no taper hole in it. The tailstock has a fixed dead center with a 1/2" 20 thread rod behind it. Any idea where I can pick up parts for this strange beast?? I'll try to get some pics posted, if that will help.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

alex carey
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
This might be bad advice, but you might want to consider just getting a cheap standard lathe. Save you the hassle if you upgrade and of getting these parts.

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I agree with Alex. Not sure I would put more money into it because they won't fit anything if you upgrade.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I also have to agree with the guys. Will be very hard to find accessories for this lathe. You may be able to convert it into a disk sander or buffing station...... but I think you may have a hard time upgrading this one.

CW McClellan
04-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Send the big C--an email and they may have some old parts ya can get outta the barn--that is CLEMSON Ag. Dept.:eek:
Ya wouldn't know my blood runs orange Ha LOL :D
Good luck on the parts-- just funning :p

Casey Gooding
04-15-2009, 7:51 AM
This lathe was only $15, so I don't mind spending a little bit on parts.
I'll consider contacting Clemson. I'm just not sure if I want to risk contaminating all my other tools :)
Thanks!!

Jamie Cowan
04-15-2009, 10:45 AM
If you can post a few pictures, I might have some parts for you. When my neighbor found out I was turning, he gave me a bunch of parts for an old lathe that don't match up with anything of mine. Consequently, I have a few face plates, a non-tapered tailstock, a few belts, and some tool rests. If you can use the stuff, you can have it.

Casey Gooding
04-15-2009, 7:54 PM
Here are the pics. That would be great if the parts will work.
Thanks again.