PDA

View Full Version : Ft Lauderdale Fleet Week

Don Abele
04-14-2009, 7:01 PM
Well I'll be heading down to Ft Lauderdale (Port Everglades) for Fleet Week this year. One of my security detachments was assigned to provide security for it so I'll be heading down with them. I'm riding an amphib (USS ASHLAND) down (embarking via LCAC!) and will be staying onboard while we are there. While my crew rides her back, I'll be flying back as I have other committments to take care of early the following week.

Fleet Week will be 27 April to 02 May. If you are in the local area, please let me know - maybe you can stop by for a quick hello!

For more information click here: http://www.browardnavydaysinc.org/

Be well,

Doc

AL Ursich
04-14-2009, 7:51 PM
I was on a Tin Can out of Norfolk 79-84, the USS Coontz DDG-40. Our CO had family in the area and we went there for spring break 2 years in a row. I remember we Rendered Honors to Condo Buildings with Retired Sailors Dipping Flags to Us from the Condo's.

Great Liberty....:cool: Ran out of Money early in the visit the first year...:(. Was ready for it the second year... ;) Had a bigger Piggy Bank......:D

Any Tin Can Sailors on the forum, they are trying to place the last Adams Class Tin can in Jacksonville. I decommissioned DDG-14 the Buchanan that was sunk as a target ship.

http://adamsclassveteransassociation.yuku.com/topic/384/t/Jacksonville-Florida.html

The First day I was there I went off by myself and took the Boat Tour of the Harbor.... I sat right in front... Typical TOURIST.... First stop on the tour with 40 Seniors Clicking pictures was the USS Coontz and there I was in the front... Getting Cat Calls of "Look at Tourist AL"..... From the Navy guys.... So embarising....:eek:

AL:rolleyes:

:DRetired NAVY:D

travis howe
04-14-2009, 8:06 PM
God Bless the US Navy! I was honored to 4 years of "the life", not having some family illnessess back home, I'd still be there!

What's your rating Doc?

Travis

Harvey M. Taylor
04-14-2009, 8:19 PM
My hat is off to the navy. I was in it in WW2 for a short time. Was supposed to be part of the invasion force of Japan, but the atomic bomb was born. Remember, it was Navy Seals that rescued that heroic Captain a few days ago. Max

AL Ursich
04-14-2009, 8:20 PM
I was a Fire Control Tech, Radars and Computers. Retired as a Chief. FCC(SW) in 95 at San Diego then worked for Sony for 4 years in San Diego and 4 in Philly.

How about you?

Now I am home and doing a business.

My first Gun Director and my First Computer..... Analog Gun Fire Control Computer. Gears, servos, synchro, hand cranks and dials.... 1977 Yokosuka Japan.

AL

travis howe
04-14-2009, 8:27 PM
Harvey...I served in the 90's.

My hats off to you and your service... my best friend and grandfather served in WWII as a tank driver in the Army in the Pacific. He passed away several years ago.

You will not find my love and respect to those that served in the early WWars. It was a different time in many aspects, my thanks to you are from the bottom of my heart. Thank you! If you make it to Colorado let me know!

Navy Seals... I did comms for SF/CIA/Gov...a guy that worked for me in Italy now works for me in the US. His last gig was support for Seal team 6... let's just say...we know the entire story..well....

Travis Howe

Don Abele
04-14-2009, 8:39 PM
...What's your rating Doc?...

Travis, for 20 years I was a hospital corpsman (hence the nickname Doc). I served with the Marines and then spent 14 years on submarines as an independent duty corpsman. After leaving my last boat, I converted to a Command Senior Chief and was stationed on USS CONSTITUTION in Boston. When I made Master Chief last year, I converted over to a Command Master Chief (CMDCM). I'm now the CMC of Maritime Expeditionary Security Squadron TWO in Portsmouth, VA.

Be well,

Doc

AL Ursich
04-14-2009, 8:44 PM
WOW.... USS CONSTITUTION. The days of Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

Interesting Career.

AL:rolleyes:

Greg Cuetara
04-14-2009, 9:23 PM
Doc,
I wish you safe passage and a good week down in FL. Thank you for your service. I think the NAVY just showed it's capability on Sunday. God Bless all of those who are serving and who have served.

On another note do you know anything about The tall ships heading to Boston this summer? I heard they were cancelling it or reducing it due to the politics surrounding security.

Be well.
Greg

John Shuk
04-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I'll be in Miami beach 20th to 24th. If you are around them PM me I'll give you my cell number.

Don Abele
04-15-2009, 5:57 PM
John, I'll be underway (in transit) to Port Everglades during that time. We are participating in an amphibious assault drill with Marines from Camp LeJeune, NC.

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
04-15-2009, 6:06 PM
...On another note do you know anything about The tall ships heading to Boston this summer? I heard they were cancelling it or reducing it due to the politics surrounding security...

Greg, before I left CONSTITUTION last October I sat in on several Sail Boston meetings, specifically to address the issue the Old Ironsides would not be participating. She is currently under going a 3 year restoration and will be moored pierside the entire time. She is, however, remaining open to the public.

At that time there was a lot of talk about the city not supporting the event due to the cost involved directly to the city. It is in the millions of dollars and in 2000, they got stiffed and had to suck it up. I've not heard anything further in regards to whether or not it would happen, but I do know that tall ships will come regardless because they are already scheduled and planned. How big the event winds up being is yet to be seen.

Be well,

Doc

Pat Germain
04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I did Lauderdale on Mount Whitney back in 1989. It was a blast, but back then Lauderdale was a Spring Break town. As I understand it, the town has since told the Spring Breakers to take a hike.

Anyway, it should still be a blast! Wear your sunscreen and don't get dehydrated, Doc. And try not to get too excited with that batton when dragging those drunk squids back to the ship. ;)