PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Dovetail Jig question

David Schindeldecker
04-14-2009, 6:28 PM
Well after letting it sit on my shelf for the last 8 years... I pulled out my Craftsman Professional Router Dovetail fixture.... I had gotten it in trade from a Ryobi Rep at a Sears Dealers Store National trade show back in the day . . .

I had everything but the 0.40" bushing referenced. None of mine were exact. I had one slightly smaller (3/8").

I did my practice half blind dovetails in practice 1/2 plywood (side mounter vertical and face horizontal... cut at the same pass)... pretty straight forward... but the fit was VERY TIGHT.

Question... is the fit too tight because of the ever so slight play in the bushing/jig slot... or is it a bit depth problem ? I'm guessing the slight play would make the pins slightly large, and the tails slightly small . .

Practice drawer went together with persuation from a little rubber hammer (LFH) (it WAS a practice piece. . )

I cannot find a .4" bushing in the stores, either (Rockler, Woodcraft... even Sears..)

Thanks for the help.

Michael Roland
04-14-2009, 7:58 PM
Craftsman has a new 12pc bushing set that includes a 2/5 (.40) bushing for use with the craftsman dovetail jigs.

The Craftsman model # is 64180 and it's $29.99.

Michael

Lee Schierer
04-14-2009, 8:15 PM
Tightness or looseness is controlled by bit height. I always have to study my instructions to see which way I need to move the bit to actually get teh correct adjustment.:confused: