PDA

View Full Version : ADA First Attempt

Angus Hines
04-14-2009, 4:01 PM
At an ADA sign.

Ok I know already the little golf ball isn't centered but this is a freebie blank I got and I don't have that shape in my files so I had to sort of wing the size and placement with a tape measure.

Oh and the 'S' is just the way its layed out in that particular font.

Keith Outten
04-14-2009, 7:04 PM
Looks good Angus, your gonna catch me sure nuff :)
We have several Corian sign makers around here now so it isn't quite as lonely as it used to be :)

Angus Hines
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm try'in but nobdoy told me that every color is gonna burn different in the laser. I blew this stuff up not sure what the color is looks like bone but have flake in it maybe it's pebbele or something.

Anyway I burned it up but these are the setting I use for white and cobalt 7% Sp @ 100% power @ 1000 DPI, but this color just blasted away at thee settings.

Scott Shepherd
04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Great start Angus. Won't be long now and you'll be searching for a rotary engraving machine. We don't do braille on the laser any more. It's just too simple to do on the rotary. We can put the holes in and install all the balls in about 60 seconds each now, depending on the words or numbers. 120 seconds at the most. That's entering it, putting the holes in and inserting the balls. No glue required either.

Angus Hines
04-15-2009, 1:14 PM
Hmmmm isn't the ShopBot just an oversized rotary engraver? Add a Air Drill set-up and I can do everything right on one machine.

But the question is how do you get nice sharp inside corners for your text on a rotary engraver?

Or just use a profile toolpath around the text for a one piece raised text sign that would then meet the new hospital standards of 'no cracks and crevices' for stuff to build up in .

Oh the ideas keep coming.

And on a side note if I keep hanging out around the Creek. Ya'll will be seeing a post on the progress of my new 100x50' metal building so I can house all these kool toys......LOL

Great start Angus. Won't be long now and you'll be searching for a rotary engraving machine. We don't do braille on the laser any more. It's just too simple to do on the rotary. We can put the holes in and install all the balls in about 60 seconds each now, depending on the words or numbers. 120 seconds at the most. That's entering it, putting the holes in and inserting the balls. No glue required either.

Joe Pelonio
04-15-2009, 1:15 PM
Nice work, Angus, make sure you keep that to show potential customers what you can do.

Scott Shepherd
04-15-2009, 2:49 PM
But the question is how do you get nice sharp inside corners for your text on a rotary engraver?

I don't engrave down into the substrate for the text to sit into. It's stuck to the surface with ADA tape, which gets stronger as it cures. After a short period, it's not going anywhere.