PDA

View Full Version : Modern armoires

Jamie Buxton
04-14-2009, 11:46 AM
This is a pair of armoires to flank a bed in a loft-style apartment which has no built-in closet. Each armoire is seven feet tall by 40” wide by 21” deep. They’re made from curly maple veneer, solid maple, bubinga accents, and copper for the pulls.

They are veneered both inside and out. (There are 17 veneered faces in each armoire.) The top is a bent lamination laid up from bending plywood. The doors are torsion boxes, for flatness and stability. The side panels of the upper portion are also torsion boxes, so the armoire doesn’t twist when a door is opened. The rails at the top of the carcass, and the solid-lumber edging at the tops of the doors, are milled with templates and a pattern bit in a router. The pulls are hand-forged copper, patina’d with Liver of Sulphur. For transport, the armoires break into two pieces; there is a horizontal parting plane just above the drawers. The pieces fasten together with locating pins and trunk latches. The drawer boxes are solid lumber with machine-cut dovetails at the corners. The slides are undermounts. The finish is wiped-on varnish. They took about 3 ½ weeks to build.

John Thompson
04-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Very nice. I would have loved to seen the inside though.

Sarge..

Terry Achey
04-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Simply beautiful design and materials! Very well done, Jamie.

Terry

John Olson
04-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Vert nice, the cats would just wreck them here though. I would also like to see the inside.

Samuel Brooks
04-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Very inspiring - Great Job.

Sam

Jacob Mac
04-14-2009, 11:54 PM
I really like them. Great work

Jim Kountz
04-15-2009, 2:22 AM
Whoa, those are beautiful!! The details are amazing and your craftsmanship is top notch.
Well done!!

Jarrod McGehee
04-15-2009, 4:07 AM
that's beautiful and FAST work. I love those but you need to put up more pictures to give that piece justice

Dewey Torres
04-15-2009, 6:11 AM
Jamie,
Very nice work once again. 3 1/2 weeks is fast!
I too would like to see the inside when you get a chance.

Mark Singer
04-15-2009, 9:00 AM
Jamie,
Beautiful! Really super work and design!