PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a CArrier Infinity system?

Kerry Adams
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Good Morning,

Its time to replace the HVAC system. Am looking at the Carrier Infinity with 97% efficency and air filtration unit. Any one having issues with this model?

Thanks,
Kerry

Tom Godley
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I installed the Bryant Evolution system (same thing) in my house two years ago - with the upgraded filter system but not the advanced system with the UV lights. I also added the humidifier that is controlled by the system.

This house has three zones - I was told that for zoning the Carrier/Bryant system are the best currently.

The system is unbelievably quiet - you just do not hear it - and it has made a noticeable difference in the comfort of the house. The ability of the system to modulate its heat output eliminates the typical rush of heated air -- it is able to maintain a steady temp -- no ups and downs.

I went with the reciprocal compressor unit. The house is in New Jersey and we have many days where humidity is a greater problem than heat. The Scroll unit was not able to reduce its output like the piston unit can - I wanted the system to be able to run on a reduced level for a longer time to reduce the humidly on days when it is not as hot. This has worked.

The unit is so quiet you have to go out and look at it to see if it is running - it also "ramps" up as the inside blower does.

One thing -- the high efficiency units are large (outside) so plan accordingly.

Great system.

Kerry Adams
04-15-2009, 6:41 AM
Thanks for reply Tom. Have you noticed a difference in utility bills?

Thanks,
Kerry

Tom Godley
04-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Kerry:

Thankfully, I do not get the job of "bill paying" each month -- but we did have a discusson regarding the lower A/C bills last year.

We had a very efficient system in that house - made by Amana back in the mid 80's -- it was a 95% natural gas unit - so the heat may not be much different. Even a high efficiency A/C unit from that period would be hard pressed to hit a SEER of 10 vs a new system.

Dan Mages
04-16-2009, 4:11 PM
Have a look at geothermal systems as well. It will give you heating and AC in one unit with very low monthly costs. It is a fair amount up front, but there are tax incentives out there to help with it.

Dan