PDA

View Full Version : Where do they go?

Dan Hintz
04-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Just a curiosity of mine, more of a musing to myself rather than a real question to others... where do the new laser owners go?

I've been (re)reading every post since this forum's inception (I'm up to December '08 now), and one thing that sticks out to me is the number of "new laser owner" posts owned by people with 10-15 (usually less) posts. I saw multiple 1-2 post people! I'm not talking industry-experienced people here, I'm talking about complete newbies to the laser (and machining) world who proclaim their new machine has been ordered (or it has just arrived), and how excited they are to learn how to use it. If they post more than 1-2 messages, they're usually gone within a few weeks.

If you're new to the world of lasers (or business in general), why oh why would you give up on such a great resource as the Creek?! :confused: You'll get better info here in one day of reading than a month of training by a rep, and this source comes at such a paltry price point. Either they're doing so well with their new-found toy they can't afford to let us know how they're doing, they continue to lurk, or the business failed. <shrug> I just don't get it...

Phyllis Meyer
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
This has been the best resource I have found! $6 donation (we give more) gets you a wealth of knowledge, great new friends, images and help from the best laser engravers out there. I hear there are other forums, but I only go to this one. First thing in the morning I check email, and go right to the creek. I'm heading into my 3rd year...swimming at the creek is the reason my laser is running today!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Relletta Palamaris
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
We are still here, I think because there is so much info on the past posts its rare for me not to be able to find the info I need, and it seems by the time I read a post and may have some advice its been more than covered. I do have to say this group is very entertaining at times and I enjoy reading posts for the sake of learning and being entertained, there are some comedians out there for sure! I myself manage a sign shop with and engraving department I fired our engraver and so added that to my list of other duties for the time being... I had learned the rotary about 7 years ago and filled in when needed but was kinda exited when I got to spend more time with a laser that the past engraver saw no need to use. Although we have had it about 2 years and I have done the basics with it its only now I am starting to have fun. This forum has not only helped with the trouble but also gave me great ideas, so thanks to all for that

Mindy

Sheryl Haley
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I recieved my laser this last October and stumbled on this forum. It has been my bible in learning how to use my laser. The information available on this forum is invaluable. I'm grateful to have stumbled upon such an incredible place.
Sheryl Haley

Marc Myer
04-14-2009, 12:57 PM
I suspect (hope) many are lurking, absorbing information.
On many forums, when people are new, they tend to get a lot of abuse.
Not so here; this is a great community and everyone is remarkably tolerant of inane questions and run-on sentences, bad speling, people for whom English is a second or third language and divergent thread twists and turns, not to say anything's wrong with that, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Doug Griffith
04-14-2009, 1:39 PM
I've done quite a few jobs in my life for individuals, both print and web, and found that a lot of people are not confident enough to put their words to print. They have what they want in their head but when it comes to laying it out for the world to see, they freeze. My approach when this happens is to take a stab at it myself, no matter how cr@ppy, and give it to them as a starting point. My method doesn't apply to forums so I'm guessing there are a bunch of lurkers here who want to speek out but don't.

Cliff Patrick
04-14-2009, 6:03 PM
I enjoy reading the information that is passed back and forth and I am still learning from it. We haven't opened our doors to the public yet and are still getting our feet wet by experimenting on different items. We also import most of what we will be lasering so that keeps us busy as well. I agree, there are some "comedians" here which always makes for a great day.

Frank Corker
04-14-2009, 6:50 PM
Well I'm still here. There are a lot of lurkers though, if you go through the members list, then click on those with the lowest number of posts (ie ZERO) you will see that there is are about 7 or 8 pages of non posters! :eek:

Keith Outten
04-14-2009, 7:08 PM
Some of them are shy like me :)

A Lot of people register just so they can view pictures and download attachments and they visit every day.

Bob Young
04-14-2009, 7:12 PM
I've done quite a few jobs in my life for individuals, both print and web, and found that a lot of people are not confident enough to put their words to print. They have what they want in their head but when it comes to laying it out for the world to see, they freeze. My approach when this happens is to take a stab at it myself, no matter how cr@ppy, and give it to them as a starting point. My method doesn't apply to forums so I'm guessing there are a bunch of lurkers here who want to speek out but don't.

I'm still here, just the quiet type. Oh, and thanks to everyone who does post here, I've learned more than I could ever hope to give back.

Adam Orton
04-14-2009, 8:31 PM
I am not working at this time but when I did work I built and maintained robots and machines. Through an automotive accident I am now slightly handicapped and am unable to return. The laser combines all my passions, computers, machinery and design. I researched the lasers and chose an Epilog Mini, 45 watt with rotary attachment and a snazzy hepa blower unit. I have ideas but they need a bit of knowledge and that is where Sawmill Creek comes in. I have been able to produce some decent little tidbits and each one was researched on these forums. Whether it was putting a photo onto a mirror (worked first time) or figuring out what kinda acrylic I had or settings for anodized aluminums the individuals here on the forums have helped me. I might not say much but I certainly read a lot and I hope in the near future I will be posting pics of my successes. If a guy with anterograde amnesia (think the movie Memento) can get a laser then make something with support from a forum then it’s gotta be kick ass good. Cheers to Sawmill and all of it’s citizens and thank you so much.

art baylor
04-14-2009, 9:46 PM
I suspect there are a lot of folks like me. A desire to start their own business with a laser or cnc or sand blaster, but no capital resources. I've been here since '05 and contribute my 2 cents worth when it seems appropriate. Hopefully when I turn 59 1/2 there will still be enough in my 201K to start up.

Art

Bill Cunningham
04-14-2009, 9:55 PM
I only post when I have something to say....or not..:D

John W. Love
04-14-2009, 9:57 PM
Personally, I am totally surprised that a newbie like Frank has stuck it out! :D

Joe Pelonio
04-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Frank, are you putting on weight?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?u=5649&dateline=1237135173

Roy Nicholson
04-15-2009, 6:51 AM
And still learning from the Forum as well...

Regards

Roy N.

Karen Thompson
04-15-2009, 7:11 AM
I'm still here too. I only picked up my toy last week and have just been very busy playing ever since:D.

Karen

doug parker
04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I just got a mini 18 30watt set up and now I am playing. I have a strange issue, The laser will not fire till it has ran about 4-5 minuits. Do these need to warm up?:confused:

Dan Hintz
04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
A few seconds at the worst... if it takes several minutes your machine has a problem. Call tech support or start a new thread on the problem...

Dave Russell Smith
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I'am still here but my laser's not, and I'll be here more often now that I have become the house Dad

Frank Defert
04-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I too am here. Log in to look at files and pictures. Just read more than I post.

Jerry Hay
04-15-2009, 6:07 PM
I heard that Frank Corker takes all of their clipart and locks them up in his basement.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
04-16-2009, 12:50 AM
HI,

It has been an excellent effort taken up by the forum citizens to share.. there problems then and there , views, ideas etc etc.,

I feel like a family of engraving to understand each other problem , technical advancement. I have been visiting regularly, observe and got tons and tons of ideas

Of all , I really appreciate that even laser machine manufacturers also , come to our stage to demonstrate and share their views to the customers

Particularly, epilog is very very keen in that , in solving customers tech support as well

Regards,

Saravanakumar

Tom Gooch
04-16-2009, 2:51 AM
I'm here nearly every day..reading...absorbing...learning. I post ocaisionally, but am pretty busy placing what I've learned into action. I think the newbies will post more later when they have learned enough to feel they are contributing something valuable. At least thats how this newbie feels. Picture if you will, the young natives attending the campfire, listening to the elders and waiting for that day when they are asked to speak.

Tim Bateson
04-16-2009, 8:28 AM
I'm a 17 month newbie. Still learning and experimenting. The information in this forum has been invaluable. Without it I may very well have given up months ago.

Anyone buying a laser today would be fool hardy not to utilize this resource.

Thanks again to to folks who created and keep it running!

Steven Wallace
04-16-2009, 3:05 PM
Gee Joe, one comment from you about Frank's weight and bam a new picture of a handsome Frank. Don't say anything about my physical size... it isn't changing no matter what I try. Lasering is not physical exercise, at least not the way I do it.

About the Creek, I have been lasering now for about 2 years and am the type of the person that tries to figure things out on my own, sort of hardheaded that way. I have to admit that this is one of the best places to come when you're just at wits end. I am also not into reinventing the wheel and after a few months realized that if I had a problem, the first place to start my research was right here. Most if not all have had the same problems and are more than willing to share their fix. Thanks to all of you that share, you are making my life a whole lot easier!!! Lurk, Join and Share... It makes the place work.

Frank Corker
04-16-2009, 4:05 PM
I just got a mini 18 30watt set up and now I am playing. I have a strange issue, The laser will not fire till it has ran about 4-5 minuits. Do these need to warm up?:confused:

Doug it might be the temperature that the machine is in. If it is cold it will take a bit to warm up, if the temp is unchanged, I think they do take a little longer to warm up with age. There is also a tickle feature with the Mini and Helix. Go to the Epilog website and download the latest manual, it will show you how to tickle your laser for you.

sunil jain
04-16-2009, 4:26 PM
Hi.

Though I don't post. I am regular reader.
I heartly Thank every one for sharing brilliant ideas

Lisa Matthews
04-17-2009, 3:33 PM
I started here a little over a year ago. I'm in and out, reading and learning. Unfortunately, we've not been able to get the business going very strong in our area and have actually listed our laser for sale locally and through our lease company. It is such a neat machine and can do such a variety of things, that this is surprising and disappointing for us. We'll try to keep plodding along until we get it sold, but with the economy the way it is, we just can't keep paying for such an expensive purchase out of pocket. Hopefully, we are in the minority here and everyone else is doing great!

Scott Erwin
04-17-2009, 3:55 PM
I agree with a lot of the posts...If you have a problem, the first thing you should do is go look for a thread for the same issue. Everyone here on the Creek is such a wealth of information that is makes tech (lack-of) support look like idiots. (That may be redundant or saying the same thing over and over again but it is my post-hehehe)

When I want to know something or learn something, I do a search first and 9 out of 10 there will be something there or a place to send you to look at for the answer. So I don't post that much as a lot of my questions are answered in prior posts/threads.

Another reason my be some intimidation or fear of looking like a dummy...What I mean is there are several times (more than I would like to count) when I see a newbie's post a question to see the reply such as:

"If you would have done a search of previous threads on (insert subject here) you would have found the answer." With no other statements or help... --If you are honest with yourself about it, everyone has seen this type of response...

-- So sometimes it could be a slap in the face if a new person wants to post a question and someone posts a response like the above just to find out it has been a thread in the past. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling that is for sure.

I like/try to read the newest posts almost everyday and learn from the pros what is going on. I am no way a pro but do a lot of things just to answer the standing question "I wonder if this will work" to find out yes it did or another trip to the hospital or telling the fire department sorry..but your welcome to stay for dinner again...

Just a few ramblings...

David James
04-17-2009, 8:07 PM
Well, I will say this. This post thread has been viewed about 1000 times with only about 30 responses. My thread I posted about 6 hours ago has been viewed about 60 times and has only had 1 response.

[QUOTE=Marc Myer;1108018]
Not so here; this is a great community and everyone is remarkably tolerant....QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I disagree. I’ll be honest, there are some grouches on the Creek that are pretty unfriendly when writing responses or trying to answer a question. They talk more about themselves than giving data or ideas in direction of the question or issue at hand. Aside from the few, the masses are quite friendly and knowledgeable. I get more out of reading the Creek than reading a year of A&E magazine or any other publications. For all that and the few answers I have gotten from all of you, I most sincerely thank you.

Doug Griffith
04-17-2009, 9:29 PM
Well, I will say this. This post thread has been viewed about 1000 times with only about 30 responses. My thread I posted about 6 hours ago has been viewed about 60 times and has only had 1 response.

[QUOTE=Marc Myer;1108018]
Not so here; this is a great community and everyone is remarkably tolerant....QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I disagree. I’ll be honest, there are some grouches on the Creek that are pretty unfriendly when writing responses or trying to answer a question. They talk more about themselves than giving data or ideas in direction of the question or issue at hand. Aside from the few, the masses are quite friendly and knowledgeable. I get more out of reading the Creek than reading a year of A&E magazine or any other publications. For all that and the few answers I have gotten from all of you, I most sincerely thank you.

I don't think I'm grouchy but I am dry. Sometimes a straight answer without any fluff can be perceived wrongly.

I've been involved in other forums where people are just plain demeaning and rude. I haven't seen that here.

Cheers,
Doug

Frank Corker
04-18-2009, 6:28 AM
[QUOTE=David James;1110915]
I don't think I'm grouchy but I am dry. Sometimes a straight answer without any fluff can be perceived wrongly.

I've been involved in other forums where people are just plain demeaning and rude. I haven't seen that here.

Cheers,
Doug

I'll agree with you there Doug

Bill Cunningham
04-18-2009, 1:27 PM
Welllllll... Sometimes I wake up Grouchy... Then again, sometimes I just let her sleep.. (old one.. I know..):D

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-18-2009, 2:48 PM
We've been here since April-2006 and had it not been for the Creekers we would have thrown the towel in by end of 2006. Thanks to all of you who post here.

Dave Johnson29
04-18-2009, 5:50 PM
I’ll be honest, there are some grouches on the Creek

Hey David,

Stop calling me grouchy!! :eek: ;););)

You will be old and short on tolerance too some day. :D

OK, OK just kidding there. I have not been here long but I have learned a great deal and am extremely grateful to everyone who offers advice and suggestions, even the grouchy ones. :)

Thad Nickoley
04-18-2009, 9:01 PM
I am keeping my posts to a minimum because Steve told me that paybacks are a !@#$% and I am afraid that he doesnt forget:D

Dan Hintz
04-18-2009, 9:43 PM
Some of the replies are quite interesting... although I'm not sure if my initial post reflected what was on my mind. I just noticed a surprisingly large number of people who signed up to ask about what unit to purchase, how to use one, maybe a setting or two, but usually it came down to "I've never used a computer, what shouls I do?" (okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get the idea). I was musing as to whether or not these people actually purchased a machine after we offered our advice, did the people who purchased one use it for much more than a doorstop after a few weeks of frustration, or did they figure it all out and never asked another question. It's nice to see some of those people do still lurk, read, and learn, even if they're not actively questioning...

Dave Lock
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I've only been a member of the forum a few weeks and I'm new to Laser engraving and cutting.
I got my first Laser last August and I have recently exchanged it for a larger model. This was due to needing a larger bed size more than anything.

I have spent many hours reading the posts on the forum. I have benefited from some really useful information that forum members have shared along their with experiences and many useful images. As a result I became a contributor as this was the only way I currently I have to repay in some way.

Hopefully, as I become more proficient I can contribute to the forum and help others as I have been helped.

I have gone down the Chinese made Laser route. There was just no way I could afford an Epilog or similar machine. UK prices are scary.

A big thanks to you guys for sharing your experience and being patient with us 'newbies'.

Regards

Dave.