PDA

View Full Version : DNA soaking a glue up

Steve Trauthwein
04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know if you can DNA soak a piece that has been glued with woodworkers glue? Has anyone done this with success?

Regards, Steve

Mike Lipke
04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
I had some Titebond III on a blank, holding some cracks and bark on, and it swelled up and turned to rubber. After it was dried, I reglued those areas and it worked fine.

Brian Brown
04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Maybe I misunderstood the question, but I'm not sure why you would want to do this. I have had no experience with this, but my thought process (not worth much) is that you only need to DNA soak green wood. If you are gluing up green wood, the wood pieces may laminate poorly, be at different moisture levels, dry at different speeds, or one may move more than others during the drying process, resulting in cracking or de-lamination regardless of how they are dried. It seems to me that you should only glue up fully dried wood. Dry wood does not benefit from a DNA soak. I'm curious to see what others think.

Steve Trauthwein
04-14-2009, 11:45 AM
"Maybe I misunderstood the question, but I'm not sure why you would want to do this. "

I hollowed out a piece that I am going to make a sphere from. Before hollowing I sliced a piece off of the end to glue back on. I wanted to hedge my bets on the shrinkage not cracking the piece by doing a dna soak before final turning. Just don't know it it will work. Sounds like maybe not from the first post.

Regards, Steve